Jigging Master PE5N - Updated to incl bearing sizes

Started by Clem, June 18, 2011, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopsticks

Outstanding tutorial Clem, with some of the best large clear pictures I've ever seen on a tutorial.

I work for BCS Enterprises Ltd, the New Zealand importer and distributor of Jigging Master reels. I service all our JM reels. They're very popular with the more experienced jiggers because of the outstanding drags, long reel arms and lower ratio of 4 to 1 (4.5 to 1 on the PE3 and PE4). The double AR pawls and strong AR bearing also give a degree of reliability under heavy drag pressure that is missing in most other brands.

We use a light coating of Cal's grease on the carbontex drag washers, on the drag surface and underneath the drag washer also. Prior to shipping a reel to a customer we dismantle the reel arm T-Bar and apply Inox M8 to the T-Bar shaft where it slides into the T-Bar itself. This is very important because saltwater will eventually find it's way into this join and corrode it solid. Very difficult then to get the T-Bar off if it's bearing needs to be replaced.

You'll notice that there are two large threaded holes in the spool (drive side) on the PE5N and larger reels. These show up clearly in the pictures above of the drag washer/spool. These two holes originally held two threaded housings with spring loaded steel balls which made contact with detents in the drive side drag plate when under load and gave a slight clicking sound. Trouble was they started in some cases to work loose (unwind) and would jam the reel solid. Not nice when out fishing. When this happened we removed them from all new reels prior to shipment and thankfully JM no longer install these little clickers but the holes remain. There is a similar ball clicker underneath the tip of the drag lever shown in picture #19 from the top which should be oiled with Corrosion X or similar at service time.

Quote from: hafnor on June 24, 2011, 09:25:37 AM
Those JM reels are just beautiful. I see already improvements made on this reel from the 09/10 models. the reel foot is mounted directly to the house and the drag shield had another colour... HMM wonder why

The JM PE3, PE4 and PE5N have a machined reel foot as shown in the above pictures. The JM PE5, PE6, PE7 and PE8 have the pressed stainless reel feet. The plastic drag shield referred to is not actually a drag shield but a gear for the reel clicker. They have changed colour on some reels but not on all of them. Some are still black.

paal

basto

I have put a few kilometres on my PE5n in the last 4 years and it is by far my most used reel for bait and jigging with 60 lb braid.  At 570gms it is an ideal weight for me to hold all day.
With a gear ratio of 4:1 , it is so far, my ideal conventional reel for the jobs I use it for.
Parts availability?  I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but don`t think it will be anytime soon. My reel is still very tight and operates perfectly.
The best advantage of a twin drag is that you get more drag for less pressure than on a single drag reel.  
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n