Mitchell-salt water

Started by Donnyboat, October 26, 2017, 04:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Hi compliments to everyone, I have just brought a Mitchell salt water spinning reel, I think it could be a very old model, on the tail plate, it has Mitchell salt water, if I point the spool down, the at the top of the same plate, it has numbers stamped on it, A60862, there could be something between the 6 and the 2, not sure, can anyone give this a model or year of manufacture, thanks Cheers Don. 
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

How about a pic, Don?

Probably a 302, 402, 386, 398, or?

But a few good pics will clear up its identity -- as well as be of interest and knowledge for others on the Site.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Donny,

It's basically a 302. Mitchell called it the Salt Water the first year or two and beginning with the "B" run they added the 302 to "Salt Water". They also added a yellow "Garcia" sticker on the crank side below the handle on the US distributed models. There is nothing between the 6 & 2. In that time frame they had an alpha A, B & then C and a 5 number sequence. After "C" they went back to all numbers until 1971 when they started back again at "A". The half bail came first in '51/'52 and the full bail came out in '53. Yours is most likely a late '53 through '54ish if it's a full bail. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Donnyboat

Thanks Tommy very informative, Fred I will try to post a photo, but last time it took me an hour and it still did not work, Fred I still have to send you an order, but have been spending money on Senators, cheers Don, thanks again Tom.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Well Fred, the wife and I sent 4 hours this morning trying to send photo to this post, know luck we are using window 10, I really don't know why I sold my sledge hammer, cheers Don, I got a print out of Joes, idea of uploading picture, still know luck.
Don, or donnyboat