50VSX - international 50 vsx

Started by alantani, February 11, 2009, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Agree about thicker/stickier greases in certain areas. The Spheerol mixes very well TSI 321 without separating back out. I use that in the fine tolerance parts of the reel (spool bearings,crank sleeve, cams etc). This thinned down mix performs very well from my experience doing it so far, without any side effects.

boomber45

I have a problem

I have a Penn International 50VSX, disassemble the main gear, but now is not as assembled. When I put it, the two pinions are loose and get double speed crank gets stuck, can someone tell me how it goes assembly? if you have pictures would be better for me.

josa1

Possibly the wafer washers that ride on the shaft between the pinions and the pinion bearing are not properly installed.

Here is a breakdown to the gears and shifting mechanism...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7972.0

josa1

alantani

Quote from: boomber45 on August 27, 2015, 07:23:18 PM
I have a problem

I have a Penn International 50VSX, disassemble the main gear, but now is not as assembled. When I put it, the two pinions are loose and get double speed crank gets stuck, can someone tell me how it goes assembly? if you have pictures would be better for me.

the high speed and low speed main gears will "snap" together.  just squeeze them together.  you will see a retaining ring inside the larger of the two main gears.  it is that retaining ring that holds the two gears together.  give it a try and let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

josa1

Here is a picture showing how the wafer washers have to be positioned in order to properly insert the spool shaft through them.  It's pretty hard, at least for me, to get them to stay in place as the reassembly proceeds.  If they're not in place, the pinions will be loose, and the handle will lock up.

handi2

That spot is perfect for a denser more "sticky" grease like Inox MX8 to hold things in place.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

josa1

That might be good handi2.  Sticky grease might hold them in position as I fumble around trying to get the assembly completed.  I'll be looking for a small tube of that grease to use on occasion.  Thanks for the idea!

josa1

boomber45

but it is normal that the gears have some movement in the shaft are mounted?

They bring a checkpoint and not exactly as it is on the gears, I think that's allowing them to move to the two pinions.

the checkpoint is in the eyebrow that brings the small gear or going inside the large gear?

alantani

ok, this is perfect!  the retaining ring goes inside the large main gear.  now nest the smaller main gear next to the large main gear, give it a squeeze and the two will "snap" together.  done!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boomber45

perfect Alan! thanks!   I was ready!

Now the problem is that I do not return button fully when I turn the knob to flying the "fast speed"

JJHCenterville

Hi Alan,

I have a 50V VSW and I just bought these two wrenches

168-30VS   168-30VS Drag Cover and Shift Base Wrench   
168-70           168-70 Wrench

However when I use the 30VS wrench to try to immobilize the shift housing as per your instructions I see that part of the wrench is larger than the squared off portion of the shift housing.  Did something change?  I'm assuming that wrench should act like a very thin wrench and firmly cradle the two flat sides of the shift housing.

THanks
John

JJHCenterville

I believe this is an older V 50VSW
Here is the speed button area

In the first image directly under the left side of the black cap you can see a light area on the sliver of housing that is showing...that is the squared off section on that left side..there is another on the right side of that shaft.

Mystic parts seems to say my wrench should fit that but it does not.
Do I just unscrew those two screws on the top of the black shift button cap?

Thank you
John

handi2

John I have found that you have to buy a wrench for each one of this series of reels. Unlike Shimano.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL