Rod Or Blank For Pier Fishing

Started by Rivverrat, November 01, 2017, 08:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

give us an idea of what your schedule will be like.  we all have back up gear!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on November 06, 2017, 01:42:20 PM
In SoCal you can't use nets for bait fish at all. Don't need a license to fish from a pier or manmade structure like a jetty but need one to fish on the beach.

so, you dont need fishing licence to fish from a pier or jetty but need one for fish on the beach?

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: alantani on November 06, 2017, 06:53:30 PM
give us an idea of what your schedule will be like.  we all have back up gear!

Alan, well... not sure exact time just yet. Be next year between spring & mid summer here in Kansas... Jeff 

1badf350

Generally you are covered under the pier license when you pay your fee at the door. No state license needed. Otherwise yes you need a license.
I spend ALOT time on the piers in the Outer Banks in the summer and this is the case in North Carolina.

As far as your gear goes, if you are only bringing 2 rods, my suggestion would be two medium heavy 7' spinning rods loaded with 15-20lb braid. One for throwing plugs at spanish, bluefish, etc. The other for bottom fishing with shrimp, bloodworm etc. Check pier regs as far as braid goes. Some piers forbid it.

No need for heavier rods, in my opinion. If you were targeting big Red Drum, Cobia, King mackerel my suggestion would be different.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Rivverrat

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 07, 2017, 05:33:48 PM
Generally you are covered under the pier license when you pay your fee at the door. No state license needed. Otherwise yes you need a license.
I spend ALOT time on the piers in the Outer Banks in the summer and this is the case in North Carolina.

As far as your gear goes, if you are only bringing 2 rods, my suggestion would be two medium heavy 7' spinning rods loaded with 15-20lb braid. One for throwing plugs at spanish, bluefish, etc. The other for bottom fishing with shrimp, bloodworm etc. Check pier regs as far as braid goes. Some piers forbid it.

No need for heavier rods, in my opinion. If you were targeting big Red Drum, Cobia, King mackerel my suggestion would be different.

Thanks for the info. Like I stated prior this will be pretty much new to me. As far as set ups I've decided on taking a medium spinning rig, Torque 12 loaded with 60 braid & a 4/0 either a Baja / US113 which I have or HX Raptor or Penn 12VISX. A 4/0 size reel is a must to my way of thinking. Since I will be river fishing & doing some lite sharking... Jeff

newfuturevintage

Quote from: steelfish on November 06, 2017, 07:59:40 PM
Quote from: Swami805 on November 06, 2017, 01:42:20 PM
In SoCal you can't use nets for bait fish at all. Don't need a license to fish from a pier or manmade structure like a jetty but need one to fish on the beach.

so, you dont need fishing licence to fish from a pier or jetty but need one for fish on the beach?

In CA, at least for saltwater, this is the case. All of them I've been on so far limit you to two fishing devices (hoop net, rod/reel, crab trap etc).