Reelyology Reel Workshop

Started by mahfudzmn, November 03, 2017, 06:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahfudzmn

Hello all!

Recently exchanged msgs with Alan, happy to hear he's feeling a lot better now! He thought I should say hi from my workshop  :D

Pleased to introduce Reelyology Reel Workshop from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia! My baby was born on May 1st 2015 so it's been on for about 2 years plus. As a
reel serviceman I grew up 'here' from this forum, reading and experience gathering. Took me a few years then the workshop happens as a part time hobby, after the unfortunate turn in the oil and gas sector, I'm now working full time in my workshop. At current I do 30-50 reels a month. Recently we've just hit reel #500 serviced by the workshop.

I'm currently a one man army running everything, the workshop services all types of reels, carbontex upgrades/replacement, bearings, parts...just the usual and a bit more  :D

Enjoy the photos from my workshop, it'd be great if you could also like my Facebook Page - Reelyology Reel Workshop

The humble beginning of my workshop in my house, circa 2014-2015

Then it move to a room upstairs

Next, last year my wife and I rented another house nearby for our businesses

This is my current reel service room

Then my 'clean' work table in another room

Drill and Dremel bench for stripped screws, polishing, etc

A small CNC machine to make Carbontex washers, and small projects

alantani

Amazing!  Compare this to my work space!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome Aboard, mahfudzmn --

Nice shop and nice equipment!

Best Always,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice my man!
I am glad you are doing what you like.
I remember you, based on our profile, you have been here since 2013.
I am impressed. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

CNC machine - now that's impressive :o - Always wanted one but haven't got the space :(

Alto Mare

Very nice workshop mahfudzmn , 500 reels is impressive. Good luck with your business.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

exp2000

Wow! Nice toys mate.

I have watched some of your videos on YouTube.

Congratulations on your success.
~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mahfudzmn

Thanks so much to all for your kind words! Truth is I learned a lot from many of you here, that's why I said I 'grew up' in this forum  :D

The CNC machine is the answer for me to make Carbontex washers, I had no background in machining but learned bits and pieces as I had to retire making them washers by hand. For the Malaysian market we see a wide variety of reels including generic rebranded Chinese and Taiwanese reels and ready kits are just not enough to cope with it, there's not a kit for everything. So I decided there and then that it should custom cut for every reel. Just got the machine last year really, it's got the 4th axis and all but really, 98% of it's time is spent making carbontex washers  ;D ;D

Crow

Nice set-up, good luck with your business.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mahfudzmn

I remember in one of Alan's post about bearings, he said something like I'm not saying you have to have a healthy inventory of bearings...

I smile and think about that from time to time, now I do need a healthy inventory of bearings

handi2

I'm very happy for you and your family. Welcome!

Wait until you start doing 450 reels in 3 months. Your shop will look a little different.

All my best.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

It looks like you really enjoy what you are doing, and it looks like you're pretty organized with a good business plan, to boot. Good luck & keep up the good work, you are obviously getting a lot return business!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

alantani

make sure you check out his facebook page!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Congratulations Mahfudzmn.  I really like your workshop.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.