Question about brake blocks

Started by MinerWill, June 21, 2011, 07:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinerWill

All,

I just rebuilt an Ambassadeur 2500C (I took plenty of pics for a posting) for my brother and the brake blocks are missing.  I'm ordering replacements, but I'm having a problem with the reel in testing it and am not sure if it's because the blocks are missing or if there's something else wrong with the reel.  If I reel line in quickly it makes a slight but noticeable squealing noise, but worse is, when I cast line, the reel shrieks.  I have taken it down twice to insure everything is oiled and greased, and have taken the spool tensioner completely off to insure that's not the cause of the noise.  Nothing inside is scratched or marred which could lead me to think that a specific part is damaged.  The bearings show no sign of rust, although one does appear to have side plate damage.  I soaked both in TSI 301 then put a drop of 321 on each.  I was going to upgrade both bearings, but my brother doesn't expect to use this reel much, if ever, because it belonged to our belated father and, although my brother passed on several other, nicer reels, he really wanted this one because he remembered Dad using it when my brother was very young.  I have Revo Inshores, a 6500, and a 3600 if any of the bearings are interchangeable, I could swap them out to check the noise.  Would the lack of brake blocks cause the noises I've mentioned, or would someone else suggest I check another part?  Any assistance at all will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

JGB

when you say brake block I 'assume' you mean the plastic pegs that ride on the 2 or 4 pins.
Here are a couple of things to try/check:

Take a Marks a lot and blacken the spool edges and test. After casting several times remove the spool and see if it has rubbed off. check both the spool and the reel frame for transfer of the black ink. If there is transfer then the spool is rubbing and the spool shaft may be bent or the bearing are worn beyond their service life. The spool can be straightened or replaced.

Second try cleaning out the pinion and make sure it is oiled.

Third remove the idler gear that drives the level wind and see if the problem goes away. If it does go through the level wind - clean and lube.

I hope one of these works for you. Other guys may have some additional possibilities for you.

Jim N.

MinerWill

JGB,

Thanks for the quick response.  Turns out it is something having to do with the level wind system.  I removed the idler gear and not only did the noise stop but now the reel free-spools the way I expected it to.  Can't imagine what could be wrong with the level wind, but I'll start working on it.

By the way, anyone here able to tell me what in the heck the brake blocks do anyway?

Again, Thanks.

MinerWill

Ok,

It turns out my level wind system was TOO clean.  I slathered on some grease and now it's working like a champ.  I'd still be interested in hearing about the brake blocks, if someone has the time.

Many thanks.

redsetta

The main aim of brake blocks is to control the 'launch' phase of a cast.
They usually have two settings: close to the main shaft and a 'click' further out concentrically.
The effect is a bit like an ice skater doing a spin - when they pull their legs/arms in, they spin faster; when they release their arms/legs, the spin slows.
Overrun (or backlash) often occurs when the spool accelerates from standstill to full speed and the brake blocks allow you to adjust the spool spin speed to match variables such as the angler's casting style, line/lure weight etc.
They also usually come in a variety of sizes, with the larger (or heavier, depending) blocks providing more braking than the smaller ones.
There's probably a lot of science I'm overlooking here, but others may choose to wade in...
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MinerWill

Ken_D

Quote from: MinerWill on June 21, 2011, 09:40:05 PM
Ok,

It turns out my level wind system was TOO clean.  I slathered on some grease and now it's working like a champ.  I'd still be interested in hearing about the brake blocks, if someone has the time.

Many thanks.

Hio.....I'd want to locate and use a ceramic line pawl, and lube the worm and shroud with (not available in Canada) super slick stuff. They have a web page.

The latest lube Alan is using (not available up here, either) would be a great option as well. Myself, I use ReleaseAll, available at our big box store, Rangoon Tyre. (Canadian Tire)

Grease tends to be a dirt/sand/crud magnet. Ceramic line pawls are being used for 3-4 seasons on the Fraser and Skeena River systems, where in the past, metal ones were failing in 6 months.  Good fishing and fixing. KD.