Where do they go?????

Started by Noviceman, November 07, 2017, 12:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

cleaning a Longbeach 65 and put the parts in simple green to soak.....Somehow when I took all the parts out of the simple green the dog spring disappeared.....Have only read about that happening on this forum.....there must be a dog spring heaven somewhere....Oh well.....60 cents plus s&h...

PacRat

That's why I buy 'em by the dozen.
You can cannibalize a Bic lighter for a temporary spring but I don't know if they rust because I don't leave them in long.
-Mike

David Hall

They do fly!  So you have to hold them down with something whenever you expose them to the air.

Shark Hunter

Mine usually show up eventually. Just not when you need them. I always have spares at the ready.
Life is Good!

FatTuna

When I first started working on reels that was the story of my life. I stocked up on a bunch of the most used springs and keep them in a tackle tray. Now if I lose one I could care less, I just replace it.

Tiddlerbasher

Try disassembling in a plastic bag and/or using a strong magnet on you tools - remember it should be a no fly zone ;)

RowdyW

Anybody that has serviced these reels will periodicly lose those springs. I have a little round magnet that came off a refrigerator decoration that I stick the spring on to. If it needs cleaning I just swish it in cleaner between my fingers & stick it right back on the magnet till it is ready to install. Dip it in grease before installing it, it makes it a little sticky & it won't fly into never neverland as easy when pushing it in.              Rudy

thorhammer

They're playing poker with left socks and ink pen caps. I never put them in the green bath for that reason.   I wipe down and tape to the tray while rest of reel is in the soak. And I still buy extras.

Noviceman

thanks and enjoyed all your  comments.....Will definitely keep a better eye on these....and order more than 1...

Bryan Young

Yuuuppp...order by the dozen.  They always fly...

Funny though, I used to never lose the dog spring but I would lose the dogs....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

1badf350

HA! Reminds me of when I first started building AR-15 rifles. The pivot pin detent and spring were VERY tricky to get seated. If you were a hair off, BOING.....the spring and detent would both fly off into never-never-land. I finally started putting my whole upper body in a large plastic trash bag when it came time to do that. That way at least I could find the darn things again. Eventually I got good enough to get them in in one motion without needing the bag.........most of the time.
-Chris
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

broadway

I now take out the clutch springs very carefully because my clutch springs are always eating my dog springs when I put them in together.
Dom

coastal_dan

I've started only disassembling on micro fiber towels for this reason...things don't slide away or roll or bounce.  I use 20" X 20" cut pieces of plywood then lay the micro-fiber towel onto it.  I buy them by the 50 pack on Amazon...maybe order 2-3 bundles a year.  I haven't found a good way to degrease them or wash them, so they get tossed.  The wife would kill me if I put them in the washing machine  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Quote from: coastal_dan on November 08, 2017, 01:04:24 PM
I've started only disassembling on micro fiber towels for this reason...things don't slide away or roll or bounce.  I use 20" X 20" cut pieces of plywood then lay the micro-fiber towel onto it.  I buy them by the 50 pack on Amazon...maybe order 2-3 bundles a year.  I haven't found a good way to degrease them or wash them, so they get tossed.  The wife would kill me if I put them in the washing machine  :D
If they are lightly greased here and there, I wipe away any excess grease with a paper towel then put the bunch in the washer using Simple Green as the detergent...probably a cup to a few cups depending on how many towels I'm washing.  That usually does the trick, and comes out pretty good.  No home washer though...obscure laundry mat is where I go.  And I normally run it for 2 or 3 cycles...

I do the same with towels I use for detailing except I use about 1/2 gallon of bleach per wash cycle because although bleach breaks down the cotton fibers, the towels come out softer because the bleach breaks down the cotton fibers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Almost every Shimano reel that uses the pin and spring type star clicker have missing pins and often springs when they come to me for TLC....and the customer almost always tell me they never took the star off.  I think I have 10 or so of the pins and springs on hand at all times. 

With Penn springs I just dig around in the cracks in the floor and usually can find what I need.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain