Crack 200

Started by Alto Mare, November 09, 2017, 04:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

This Crack 200 came along with another reel that I purchased and since I didn't see much information on this reel, I decided to brake it down and show it.
First thing I want to mention, the plate screws are very tiny and soft, not one screwdriver that I own fit the slots on those screw, so I made my own

and the break down of the reel

nice and strong drag knob

a layout of the wing nut, bushing and spring

the clicker tongue under the spool is designed in such a way that it will not come out unless you line up the tail part just right

the thrust washer for under the spool is felt

the top of the spool has just 1 washer, appears to be thin leather

the handle is pretty sturdy

and a look on the inside by removing the side plate cover

I'm impressed with what  I saw in this reel, one of the reason I wanted to post about it
removing the ss plate and crosswind gear reveals a beefy spool shaft, the gear appears to be ss as well

spool shaft pulled out

a closer look on how beefy it is

the bail removes with very little effort

I read somewhere the line rollers on these reels freeze up at times. The line rollers are ss with brass insert.
I believe they are made very well, maybe a drop of oil every once in a wile would help. the roller on this reel was spinning just fine
the rotor comes with a nice cover plate. Sand would have a hard time trying to get through this plate...I'm amazed with every little parts I remove on this reel

a closer look at the parts under the cover plate

this washer on top has a pin on the under side that activates the bail release spring

check out that spring, same design as a shaft on a commercial garage door

the anti reverse dog situated under the rotor

a look of the under side of the rotor shows the anti reverse ratchet. the pinion gear crews to the rotor

the ss ( stainless steel) shaft glide in a ss sleeve which is attached permanently to the housing, the pinion also glides on that ss sleeve

to me this is one of the best design I've seen on a spinner, zero wobble with the rotor or spool on this reel

all parts completely off the reel and cleaned. Had to be really careful with this one, I don't have any spares...that should change soon

The reassembly of the parts

pic-up cam needs to go first, or you won't be able to install the pic-up lever assembly

springs and cam bearing next

set your pic-up cam spring loose and tighten it afterwards by turning the cam with a nice size flat head screwdriver

there is a set screw to hold the tension on the spring, the pic-up lever will help with holding it in place

the anti reverse dog back in position

the rotor back in place

the shield

I punched some Delrin washers and carbon fiber washers, as stated earlier this reel takes one on top and one at the bottom

these should really help this reel, the ss bushing and the drag knob are also helping with the drags.
The Delrin washer on the ratchet on the spool shaft

and in it goes

crosswind gear

crosswind plate next

the main gear

the main gear next to the 750ss main gear to show the its size

plate and handle back on

the spool with a new carbon fiber washer

drag knob

and the reel back together

I was really amazed by this reel and it left me wondering why the new manufacturers pull away from this amazing design.
From what I've seen, this reel could be dunked and still not miss a beat. I"m also thinking there might not be a need for replacement parts on these, the reel is built like a tank.
Enjoy it!... hopefully it will help someone in need when servicing one of the same.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Great service and cleanup job, Sal!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Well done, Sal, and thanks for posting! The old east coast surf guys swear by those and their Luxor predecessor. A lot are still in use.

Just an FYI, those are the type of reels Robert Koelewyn based his Van Staal designs on, although he wanted to greatly improve on it.  
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Excellent timing Sal...I just got one of these...I'm sure this post will be a great guide as I tear into mine. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

FatTuna

Looks a lot like a Van Staal.

mhc

Great tutorial Sal and an interesting reel. I had a quick look on ebay and it seems more than a few people like them if the prices are anything to go by.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.
Tom, interesting information about the Van Staal and I could see why.
I'm not sure how much they improved it, but to me an anti-reverse bearing along with a silent dog...even though the clicking doesn't really bother me personally, a couple additional washers in the spool and that's all this reel needs.
The spool has a ss bushing pressed into it, there might be a possibility to lower that bushing by machining it to accept a couple additional drag washers.
If the unti-reverse dog could be relocated, a nice big carbon fiber washer at the bottom of that rotor or spool might be even better.
I'm still studying this reel, I will definitely fish it as is for now and see how it goes. I might leave it as is.
I have seen some with drilled spools, they look amazing, but I don't think its a good idea on this one.
This reel is sealed pretty tight and that's without gaskets, the machined pretty reels will defeat the purpose.

Mike, yes these are not cheap, unfortunately they will soon get more expensive.
I took these pics a litte while back and wanted to make sure I grabbed a couple of reels for myself before posting about it here :)

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Thanks for the tutorial Sal.  I like those reels.  Simple and effective.  I just wish the reels has a little bit more drag though.  Similar to the Lexor and other reels coming from France during that era.

I think you said it best, built like a tank...that was probably their demise...no need to purchase another reel once you had one of those.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

Obi-Wan Pennobi at his best. Nice work Sal!

Bryan Young

BTW Sal, what is that green grease you are using?  Every time I turn around, you are using a different grease...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Crow

Good job ! Thanks for taking us along on the service job !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Tiddlerbasher

That looks like one tough reel - thanks for taking us along Sal.

mo65

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 09, 2017, 01:55:35 PM
BTW Sal, what is that green grease you are using?  Every time I turn around, you are using a different grease...

It caught my eye too Bryan. Is it a type that works well in spinners? If so I'd like to get some, I always seem to be thinning grease for spinners.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

I tore down a couple of its baby brothers, an A & a B, a couple of years ago. Don't know if you ran into this or not, Sal, but it took me longer to figure out that the drag knob pin/screw only fits into the bushing one way than it did to put the whole rest of the reel back together. I didn't pay close enough attention when I took the drag knob apart. One side of the bushing is threaded a little and the other side isn't so the pin will only go in completely one way for the threads to start into the knob body. I kept thinking the pin, slot and holes weren't lining up.   ::)

Here's what those little guys look like, they're cute little lite size spinning reels and fun to fish with. They were one of the very first, in 1949, to come out with an infinite anti-reverse. There's a little spring on the main shaft rotor tube behind the pinion that stops reverse movement when the A/R button is activated.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 09, 2017, 01:55:35 PM
No Bryan and Mo, it is the same I've been using for over a year now. The grease is Shimano Premium Grease and really like it.
It is a product of Germany, the color is honey, but somehow it turns green in all my pics, I can't figure out why :-\.
Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 09, 2017, 07:07:20 PM
I tore down a couple of its baby brothers, an A & a B, a couple of years ago. Don't know if you ran into this or not, Sal, but it took me longer to figure out that the drag knob pin/screw only fits into the bushing one way than it did to put the whole rest of the reel back together. I didn't pay close enough attention when I took the drag knob apart. One side of the bushing is threaded a little and the other side isn't so the pin will only go in completely one way for the threads to start into the knob body. I kept thinking the pin, slot and holes weren't lining up.   ::)

Here's what those little guys look like, they're cute little lite size spinning reels and fun to fish with. They were one of the very first, in 1949, to come out with an infinite anti-reverse. There's a little spring on the main shaft rotor tube behind the pinion that stop reverse movement when the A/R button is activated.

Ok Tom, this poves that I'm normal, I did the same exact thing with this reel ;D. The slots on the spring nut helped me figure it out.
That's a nice little reel you're showing, could you post a larger pic if possible? I'm not able to zoom those in .
Thanks Tom.

Sal