Crack 200

Started by Alto Mare, November 09, 2017, 04:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonRico

Sal, thanks so much for posting this. My father has an old Martin Surf-o-matic that appears to be the same exact design. It needs to be serviced and this post is extremely helpful to me.

Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

oc1

I was wondering about you opinion of the click click click.  That seems to be a common knock on those.  I guess when all you can find to complain about is the sound then it's a darn good reel.

You're one smart cookie Sal..... buying up a few before mentioning it here.  Thank you very much for sharing.
-steve

RonRico

Quote from: oc1 on November 09, 2017, 09:55:48 PM
I was wondering about you opinion of the click click click.  That seems to be a common knock on those.  I guess when all you can find to complain about is the sound then it's a darn good reel.

You're one smart cookie Sal..... buying up a few before mentioning it here.  Thank you very much for sharing.
-steve

People complain about the clicking on the old Penn Spinfishers too. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, they're very quiet and smooth.
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

happyhooker

Very interesting--the original post & comments.  Will read it again more thoroughly when I have more time.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 09, 2017, 08:47:43 PM

Ok Tom, this proves that I'm normal, I did the same exact thing with this reel ;D. The slots on the spring nut helped me figure it out.
That's a nice little reel you're showing, could you post a larger pic if possible? I'm not able to zoom those in .
Thanks Tom.

Sal

Done! I revised the pics on my post and added another closeup of the bronze body without parts or grease.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23319.msg257411#msg257411
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Thanks Tom, much better now.
With the exception of the bail pic up mechanism, that little reel is basically the same.
Tom, did they ever offer a wrench to remove the pinion? my gears look great, just like to have one if they did make it, or might have to figure something out.
Thanks everyone, I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I'm happy that I run into this little jewel, I like everything about it.

By the way, I just put the 200 on a scale, the weight is 1lb. My 650SS, another of my favorite weighs in at 1lb 8 oz.
I'm not surpriced that it would be that light, the housing is just a little bigger than the main gear...they knew what they were doing.

Best,
Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

I don't know, Sal. It's been a couple of years since I did those. I know I couldn't get the pinion out so I just removed the felt washer behind it and left well enough alone. The felt washer oils the pinion tube/bushing and helps quiet it. I don't remember seeing a C-clip and if I remember right I thought it was pressed in at the time. That's why I left it alone.

The anti-reverse is silent and activated by a slide button on the lower right side of the body. The mechanism and function is really quite simple. The main component is a coil spring with a long extension and screw loop on one end and a short extension with a hook on the other end. The coil slips over the tubular extension just behind the pinion gear. The long end of the spring is held stationary by a screw into the body. The short hooked end fits into a slot toward the rotor end of the half circle shaped piece of metal (arm). The coil portion of the spring is concealed from view by that piece so I provided the photo that clearly shows the spring, the tubular extension on the rotor cup it fits over and the slot that the short end of the spring hooks into. The A/R button is attached to the circular piece of metal (arm) in the center where it appears an arrow points down. When the A/R is deactivated the handle turns freely in either direction. When the button is slid forward the half circle arm rocks forward, raises and adds tension to the coil so that the handle can't be turned in reverse. The entire operation is silent in both directions and no matter where you cease forward movement the handle cannot be turned backwards. It was way ahead of its time.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Alto Mare

Thanks for the information Tom...good stuff!

About the pinion, I thought it was pressed in as well, but looking for parts I discovered its not the case. These pinions are screwed in:

There has to be a wrench that would mesh with the teeth on the pinion, I couldn't see it any other way :-\

Some mention that these reels are simple, from the design standpoint, I personally don't see anything simple on these reels, well, maybe now that they've shown us how it's done  :). I read somewhere they were put together by clockmakers.

Thanks again Tom.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Hi Sal, interesting, thanks for showing, I would also like to know, what type of grease you used on the gears, please, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Midway Tommy

Interesting, Sal! I had no idea it was threaded, but by the looks of it there really is no reason to remove it unless it's worn or has a chipped tooth. Everything that needs to be cleaned can be cleaned while attached to the rotor. Nice to know, though, just in case.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Alto Mare

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 10, 2017, 10:43:22 AM
Interesting, Sal! I had no idea it was threaded, but by the looks of it there really is no reason to remove it unless it's worn or has a chipped tooth. Everything that needs to be cleaned can be cleaned while attached to the rotor. Nice to know, though, just in case.

*You are correct Tom, there wouldn't be a reason to remove it, but I would still like to have that special wrench to remove it...if they ever made one.

Quote from: Donnyboat on November 10, 2017, 07:51:38 AM
Hi Sal, interesting, thanks for showing, I would also like to know, what type of grease you used on the gears, please, cheers Don.

*Hello Don, sorry I just caught your question.
The grease is Shimano Premium Grease made in Germany.

Best,

Sal

mo65

My brother got me one of these cool ol' reels...it is a beast indeed! I may have to hunt down a smaller model to try fishing it. I really like the anti-reverse design, it has very little back play. Thanks Sal for the tutorial, it made the clean up a cinch! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Oh, you did better Mo, you got the box as well...very nice. I see you have the same pound of dried up grease in yours ;D.
Take that baby out and try it on some cats, I bet a 40-50lb one won't stand a chance ;)

I'm glad you got one.

Sal

handyandy

How do these compare size wise to other reels, like dam super size?

Alto Mare

Quote from: handyandy on August 27, 2018, 04:27:46 PM
How do these compare size wise to other reels, like dam super size?

Due to it's design ( and a beautiful design it is), it isn't easy to compare to others. I would say it's closer to the DAM 300 than the super

Best,
Sal