Need help deciding which spinner

Started by Chuck750ss, November 16, 2017, 01:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

Guys, I live in Arkansas and have fished since I was knee high to a grasshopper. All freshwater though. I have a daughter who now lives in the Pensacola area and naturally am going to be fishing down there. (Surf for now) My goal for purchasing reels is to buy stuff that can be used saltwater and back home. Have purchased a 705 and 2 750ss that I can use surf and for catfish here at home. Also purchased a mint 420ss (didn't need it, just WANTED it.) I use ultralight rigs here at home to catch skipjack (baitfish) and panfish. Even named it. Mini-tank! Anyway, what I need advice on is a spinning reel that can do double duty as a bass reel at home and something to chunk jigs and whatever else artificial baits are used in the surf. I like the old model Penns I have because they are very well built and don't have zinc-crap for main gear and pinion. I own some Shimano freshwater reels ( ultralight spinners and bait casting) that are super smooth. The spinners have zinc, but have held up so far for what I am doing with them. Would not use them for any serious fishing though.
I have read Alan Hawks article on the Daiwa BG and noticed he gave it a high rating even though it had zinc-crap. Everything I have read about the made in China Penn Spinfisher leads me to believe that it is junk.
I certainly am not against buying a used reel if it is in good shape. I am putting a 200$ limit (more or less) on what I buy. Less being better of course. (I ain't rolling in dough!)
Anyway, I appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Take the Boss's word over mine everyday but 200$ will get you a 4300ss and 4400ss both, since you have Penn already. I've fished mine hard fir twenty years.

sharkman

I bought couple of 710 and 712 then extra spool that way can have two different lines for double sury

Shark Hunter

There are some Big Fish cruising the beaches of Pensacola.
My Choice would be a Big Z Series.
You can pick up a 704Z for a Hundred bucks on the Big Auction Site if you are patient.
I prefer the older models instead of the new reproduction, but that is just me.
You can tell the difference with the label on the spool. The new ones don't have it.
I am usually fishing with big Conventional Reels when I hit the Beach, but a spinner is also used for bait.
Life is Good!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: thorhammer on November 16, 2017, 02:11:50 AM
Take the Boss's word over mine everyday but 200$ will get you a 4300ss and 4400ss both, since you have Penn already. I've fished mine hard fir twenty years.
Was thinking along the lines of a 4400 or 4500.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: alantani on November 16, 2017, 01:58:14 AM
spend less than $50.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=okum+spinning+reel+
Have you used the Azore model? Reviews I have read are mixed. Not unusual. But it does have a cast main gear. Always suspect in my book, though some seem to hold up quite well.

Shark Hunter

The 00 series are graphite framed. Not metal.
Not knocking it, but for the price, I buy metal.
I just bought a 450ss this evening with two spare spools for $100.
Great reels.
There are a lot of options for you. I just like the classics. ;)
Life is Good!

Chuck750ss

Guys, also had intended to ask about the Penn 360,460,560 Slammers. Read some good reviews. And some not so good. Would they fit into the category I am looking for? Also, I thought Penn had quit making the "60" series slammer. See them from Australia and Europe listed as new. Sent message to the Australia store and he replied that it was his best seller and still made. Don't see where Penn lists them though.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: sharkman on November 16, 2017, 02:21:31 AM
I bought couple of 710 and 712 then extra spool that way can have two different lines for double sury
Forgot . I have a 710. Looks brand new. In box. Not fishing with this one!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 16, 2017, 06:51:51 AM
The 00 series are graphite framed. Not metal.
Not knocking it, but for the price, I buy metal.
I just bought a 450ss this evening with two spare spools for $100.
Great reels.
There are a lot of options for you. I just like the classics. ;)

Outside of the frame, is there any difference between the 44/4500 and the 44/450? I made the assumption that both do not have zinc-crap main and pinion. Any idea how much lighter the plastic frame is?
BTW, I share your love of the classics. Still use my old ambassador and my Mitchell 300's.

Tiddlerbasher

I'm with Alan. In terms of bang for your buck the Okuma range is hard to beat.
I have several Trio all different sizes. Raw II and Cedros in the larger sizes are great reels - I've been using them for over 3 years with no problems. The biggest fish I landed was a 135lb Giant Mekong catfish on the Cedros 80 (fitted with cf drags). A Raw II in 40 or 65 size would make a great lighter surf spinner.
Any new reel - strip it and service it - grease the cf drags. If they are not cf (felt or whatever) replace them with cf

thorhammer

My go-to is a 360 Slammer.  It's possibly had more use than my other reels combined since 2002. The improvement over older SS is the bail arm is radiused so it doesn't snap back on a cast.