Calling Our Rod Experts -- Need Some Advice & Direction

Started by foakes, November 16, 2017, 10:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

As I recall, the Sage DS2 was a medium to slower action rod with a fuller flex.   If a repair for such a break was even possible, I don't know how it would affect the quality of the cast, which is the single most important aspect of a quality fly rod.  I can imagine how heart broken the owner of the rod was when he stepped on it, especially on an older Sage.

foakes

Got hold of Bill at Sage up on Bainbridge Island yesterday.

He was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Said to send the entire rod in to them -- they would replace the butt portion, plus inspect and restore the entire rod as needed for alignment of guides, any issues with wraps or threads, etc.

Cost would likely be around $50 + shipping.

I opened an online service, tracking, and incident account with them -- very smooth and slick.

Sage is a responsible company with a good reputation and good people -- I will post the process and result.

Should be around a 2 or 3 week turnaround, according to Bill at Sage.

Thanks to everyone -- stay tuned for a good result from Sage.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wfjord

That's great news.  Everything I've ever heard about Sage's service was good.  Fortunately I've not "yet" broken one of my Sages, but if it happens it would be worth that cost to get it fixed.  I currently have an older Ross Cimarron fly reel (under warranty) boxed up along with a $30 check to send back to Ross Reels to get a bent rim repaired. Accidents happen.

Swami805

Glad it's working out,never owned a Sage but I know they are highly regarded. $50 sounds more than reasonable
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

I had a spinn rod made from sage blank 5wt it was fantastic,,,,got in the car door  >:( but a friend got a new one like $875 he had to send it back,,,, man thay fix it right but 4 mouths he said  ;D

Tiddlerbasher