Thinking of starting on a 149 or 349

Started by grekim, November 18, 2017, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 24, 2017, 05:35:13 PM
Could it be that you put the dog in backwards?  Done it too many times myself...it will appear to hold but when in actual use it will slip.....Bill

That is something I would do, but I checked that.  It should be that the spring is against the flat edge side of the dog, correct?
Educating fish on every trip

Vintage tackle man

Quote from: grekim on November 20, 2017, 10:48:50 PM
Since I am a surf guy, I won't have much occasion to use this reel.  But, it does hold memories...coming back from Port Jefferson and catching bluefish.  So, I am going to assemble as is.  In fact, having the original plates is kinda part of the whole nostalgia.  

So, now I have a question because I was too quick to pull it apart.  I have the drag assembled which is 3 brass washers and oldtime drag discs ;).   Remaining are two tension washers and the heavy duty beveled collar.  And the sleeve.  All the other reels I've done have the tension washers on top of the last drag washer.   Is that the case here?....so we go last brass drag washer -> 2 tension washers -> beveled collar -> sleeve -> star drag -> handle?  And the last brass washer is holding the drag stack on the inside.   Thanks!    

According to the pen catalogs the sequence you have is incorrect it goes like this- the last brass drag washer ->  beveled collar -> sleeve -> 2 tension washers -> star drag -> handle

Tiddlerbasher

Delrin washers under the sleeve and on top of the drag stack will improve smotthness ;)

RowdyW

Quote from: Vintage tackle man on November 30, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
Since I am a surf guy, I won't have much occasion to use this reel.  But, it does hold memories...coming back from Port Jefferson and catching bluefish.  So, I am going to assemble as is.  In fact, having the original plates is kinda part of the whole nostalgia.  

So, now I have a question because I was too quick to pull it apart.  I have the drag assembled which is 3 brass washers and oldtime drag discs ;).   Remaining are two tension washers and the heavy duty beveled collar.  And the sleeve.  All the other reels I've done have the tension washers on top of the last drag washer.   Is that the case here?....so we go last brass drag washer -> 2 tension washers -> beveled collar -> sleeve -> star drag -> handle?  And the last brass washer is holding the drag stack on the inside.   Thanks!    

According to the pen catalogs the sequence you have is incorrect it goes like this- the last brass drag washer ->  beveled collar -> sleeve -> 2 tension washers -> star drag -> handle
I'm sure it's brass drag washer.. bellville washer(cupped washer).. sleeve.. spring washer.. star wheel.. 2nd spring washer.. handle.       Rudy

Keta

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 19, 2017, 11:22:15 PM
If the plate is cracked, they are common on ebay and fairly reasonable.  I believe you can substitute Penn 113H drags and metals inthe 349, not an exact fit but work well.  Keta is our resident expert on the 49 family (49, 149, 249, and 349) of reels .  A picture of the crack may help us come up with a solution.  Bill

I am sorry I missed this thread but I have been having so much fun with my new pet kidnestone.

113H CF washers are undersize for the "H" reels but will work if double stacked.  Smooth drag has a 5 washer upgrade but for a reel that is not going to be fished much it might not be worth he $.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Vintage tackle man

Quote from: RowdyW on November 30, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
Quote from: Vintage tackle man on November 30, 2017, 01:04:20 PM

I'm sure it's brass drag washer.. bellville washer(cupped washer).. sleeve.. spring washer.. star wheel.. 2nd spring washer.. handle.       Rudy

Here's out of a catalog

grekim

Okay, thanks very much guys.  I hadn't seen that manual.  Consensus is that the Belville washer is against the last drag.  That makes sense in both distributing force evenly to the drag washer and for making a tighter seel to the outside environment.  I'm trying Sal's way with the spring washers apart...I just like the idea better.

grekim

Back to the 149 and the slipping dog....

I finally got the new dog spring, put it in and there was no improvement....as you guys predicted....should have listened.  I don't know why I didn't order a new dog too.  Anyway, for the heck of it I flipped the dog around and it holds.  But, this is not the way it looks in the manual.  So, the way it is currently holding is with the spring against the curved/indented edge the dog.  Next time I will try a new dog.

xjchad

Great job!
I just found a 149 of my late grandpa's that I'm going to rebuild for my dad for father's day.
This thread is just what I needed.  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

If you need any parts for the 149 Chad holler, I'll add it to the rest. Hoping to see you towards the end of the week. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on June 10, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
If you need any parts for the 149 Chad holler, I'll add it to the rest. Hoping to see you towards the end of the week. Sheridan

Thanks Sheridan!
I'm going to pull it apart tonight, but I know for sure I'll need a new bridge. I can tell the post has come loose.
I'll text you so I don't muddle up Grekim's thread.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Gfish

Quote from: xjchad on June 10, 2018, 06:33:36 AM
Great job!
I just found a 149 of my late grandpa's that I'm going to rebuild for my dad for father's day.
This thread is just what I needed.  :)

Really? I read through this thread thinkin some day,  I'mna get onea the 49 series models, but came away kinda confused. Differing opinions make fora informative, interesting read, but this is the "Beginners Board". What can add to the confusion for me is using diffrent, subjective terminology to describe the same parts. Perhaps a peroid correct catalog for your particular reel is the best way to see something, like how drag stack and other gear sleeve parts are arranged.
I used to be bad about tossin my boxes which add to the resale value, but I been pretty good about keepin my manuals, though storin and retriveing paperwork can bea pain.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

theswimmer

Post a pic of the crack.
My Grandpa fished a 349 with epoxied together side plates for years with no problems.
Let's see what you have......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

grekim

Quote from: theswimmer on July 05, 2018, 10:50:45 PM
Post a pic of the crack.
My Grandpa fished a 349 with epoxied together side plates for years with no problems.
Let's see what you have......

See reply #18 for the picture.  Thanks!