Johnathan’s vintage harnell restoration

Started by Adams Khanh, November 19, 2017, 03:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adams Khanh

I meett Johnathan during our trip to Morrow Bay last week with Allen and fewer the other guys he handed me his Harnell right when he walked through the door. Asked me if I can restore it to original working condition. Went home and I had used wire guides I took of a old kencor beginning of the year and had them laying around . Luckily it was a whole complete set and matching size. I sent him a message and told him to give me a call. At first he wanted just to fix the two broken guides and the tip. But I offered him these guides for free cause I had no use for them and to redo all his guides to matching it's  original wrap from factory. It's not finished yet but here is some photos of how and look and how's  the process is going

Swami805

Nice, Love those old harnells, just started another one, Got it all striped today. If you need some gold foil for the trim holler. Looks like you're good for the label. Good job keeping the old glass fishing!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Adams Khanh

Quote from: Swami805 on November 19, 2017, 03:22:25 AM
Nice, Love those old harnells, just started another one, Got it all striped today. If you need some gold foil for the trim holler. Looks like you're good for the label. Good job keeping the old glass fishing!

Do you know anyone with a harnell lable?

Swami805

PM your address I'll send one, I don't have the metallic fish label though, They're the white ones.

Swami805

If you want to freshen up the poodle grip wrap a few paper towels around it and soak it with bleach. I leave it on overnight. Really gets them white again

Adams Khanh

Quote from: Swami805 on November 19, 2017, 04:03:17 AM
If you want to freshen up the poodle grip wrap a few paper towels around it and soak it with bleach. I leave it on overnight. Really gets them white again

Thanks for the tips! And I will pm you thanks!

Bryan Young

Adam,

I left another Harnell at Alan's for Johnathan if he wants it. It will need new guides for sure. Looks like it has the original guides and one of the metal rings holding the insert is cracked.

Johnathan, it's a soft boat rod, maybe for 20# Line with a wooden butt and a slightly corroded Vermac butt. It's about 5'5" or 6' Long.

It's yours if you want it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

Wow,  I at first , as Adams stated just wanted to get the old girl fishing again.
But with the offer of the new/old guides I gave him the go ahead.
Can't wait to see the finished project!

Very generous Bryan , I am sure I will love it!
I now have a roller 150-175 ,
a near mint  8 wt fly rod ,
my dad's Three Six , a great salmon and trolling rod ,
my surf rod and now another gift.
I also have the rod that was used on the Morro trip from a Harnell blank wrapped by Mr Fisher of Chowchilla ,Ca.

I love using old gear, often I think about who owned it before and wonder if they are watching?
Thanks for your help Adams and thanks for the gift Bryan!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn