Peening on a new clicker?

Started by pennmann, November 19, 2017, 06:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pennmann

Trying to figure out how do do this without breaking sideplate?

sdlehr

Use a punch, but still be careful.... you might find a screw-on replacement, which model are you working on?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

STRIPER LOU

Sid's correct, a screw on or one with a snap ring is the easiest solution. That being said, there is another way to do it and I've used this method before.

You can use a drill or a small center drill.  Center drill the back side of the new clicker button deep enough so it almost makes a feather edge at the top. Use a wooden block with a small hole for support under the outside of the plate and clicker button assembly.

Find a ball bearing a bit bigger than the diameter of the clicker and place the BB In the hole with the feathered edge. Using a small hammer and a series of LIGHT taps, the BB will roll the feather edge over and secure it nicely. The diameter of the BB cant be too small as it will bottom in the hole before it starts to roll the edge over.  Any other type of staking or peening might work but more than likely end up in a disaster.

I have used this method for a number of different fixes over the years and its always worked for me. I hope I didn't over or under explain it,  ...  I just wanted to convey the method.
Let us know how you make out, ..  Lou

oc1

You guys are a lot braver than I am.
-steve

Alto Mare

I've tried peeling the clicker, but was never able to do it ;D.

Seriously though, it isn't that hard. With that said, I would only take a chance on my personal reels.
Here is how I do it...similar to what the guys above have mentioned.
I secure the plate on a drill press and drill out the tip of the clicker post

and off it comes

I will then install the new post and tongue and place the plate on a folded towel rested on hard surface.
Make sure whatever you're using for backing doesn't flex much, I do mine on my basement concrete floor, tapping gently on the post with an 8oz. peening hammer.
Here is my result

If anyone else can do it so can you, Just take your time.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

pennmann

It is a 1/0 senator, I was thinking of drilling the button post also. I have lots of snap ring clickers but they are way too long. Sure would be nice if penn made the short one with a groove for the e clip. I am going to try the drill method and B.B. sounds like a good idea too. Will let you know how I come out.
Thanx for the help.  Mike

pennmann

That was a typo in the title
I have the old clicker drooled and off already

Alto Mare

I hope I didn't offend you Mike, I was just making a joke. trust me, I would be the last person here to correct anyone, I'm fluent in Italian, but just about get by in English  :)
About drilling, I forgot to mention that I use a 3/8 bit, I don't pre drill with a smaller bit. This has worked best for me.

You bring up a good point about the smaller post with the clip, Tom could easily do those for us, but his time schedule might not allow it. Those would sure be a good thing to have.
Tom's custom clickers are 8mm from the inner side of the button to the shoulder, we would need 6mm for the stock plates.

Good luck fixing yours and post some pics. If for any reasons you're not able to do it, get back to me.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

I drill it out just like the processes shown.  First, I use a center punch to make a dimple, then use a drill.  I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to peen one on, especially one that small.  :-[
Another day in Paradise!