Double Dogging a 12/0?

Started by JnM Fishing, November 25, 2017, 03:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnM Fishing

I am curious as to how i could go about double dogging a 12/0? i have made a set of dogs out of O1 tool steel and sent them off for heat treatment. Although i did not want to start milling out the side plate without knowing exactly what to mill out. Could anyone provide a visual example?

-thanks,

JnM

handi2

Check the Senator section. Its been done multiple times, SS dogs are available.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sdlehr

It's not easy to find. There's a photo in reply #26 in this thread that shows one Daron did for Chris. It might be easier to find a photo of a plate cut for a double-dogged 9/0. It's a very similar procedure.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Army_of_One

On the left side you can see what looks like a mouse.  To get that area marked I put the gear sleeve and main gear in the plate on a vice, so I can access the bottom/outside of the plate.  Run the bridge plate screw through a stock dog from the top on the side that needs milling.

Push the gear sleeve up enough to engage the dog.  

Spin it until you are at the top of the tooth and sharpie a line on the outside of the dog.  

Turn the sleeve enough to engage the bottom of the tooth and sharpie the inner line.  

The finished line will look like a mouse.

I put a piece of blue tape on my dremel bit in the stock dog area. then cut the sharpie line out.  The "tail" of the mouse you have to find the right angle, with the spring, to push the tip of the dog.  Cut it to the same depth, as the spring is the same width as the dog.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Just take your time and make sure you have a sharp cutting bit.
The spring placement is up to you. I do some facing up and some down.
The most critical part for me is keeping the dogs at the same height to prevent any binding.
The last one is a 9/0, but the principle is the same.
Click on the pictures to enlarge.
Let us know if you need any more help. ;)
Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 25, 2017, 11:11:36 PM
Just take your time and make sure you have a sharp cutting bit.
I ground mine with a reddish stone bit. Wear a mask, don't inhale the dust.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Here is the forst plate that started it all, some believe it was on the Tank, but it was started on this 114H:

a lot of grinding was done to the very first plate, as you could see here, but things got better as we moved along

here is one of the same plates with a lot less grinding done to it

this is the original double dog plate on the Tank

with the exception of the spring they're pretty much similar. These should give you a good idea

The 9/0

a 116, as the one you'll be doing

the dogs on the larger reels, as the 6/0 and up will need to be shaped a bit and usually one need to be shorter
you'll get the idea once you assenble it to test it, as I'm showing

I do all my grindings outdoors, but not now its getting colder. If you must do it indoors and as me you don't have the right equipment, hold a shopvac hose on a vise and do the grinding while holding the plate under it. you don't want to breathe that dust, especially the dark stuff.
make sure you wear a good quality mask.

The bit you see on my foredom in the back, is the one I use the most
I've been using it for over 3 years and it is still doing its job
Here is where I got those from...money well spent
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-TITANIUM-Tungsten-Carbide-Rotary-Burrs-cutter-pointed-die-grinder-TOP-QUALITY/130885906276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

I did a 112H. Supported my plate in a drill press vise. Using the drill press and the depth control was able to mill the cutout.  I used a drill press to ensure I did not go TOO deep and used dremel type bits and a modified drill bit, no point, ground the end flat.    Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

There you go JnM, you ask and you should receive. Lots of options on how to get it done.
Bill, good job on that plate 👍, I don't remember seeing it.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JnM Fishing

Thank you all for your help! This was very helpful!

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Job on that double dog brother Bill.
Very Professional. ;)
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on November 26, 2017, 04:50:01 PM
I did a 112H. Supported my plate in a drill press vise. Using the drill press and the depth control was able to mill the cutout.  I used a drill press to ensure I did not go TOO deep and used dremel type bits and a modified drill bit, no point, ground the end flat.    Bill

Those are the same bits I use as well.  I don't usually have to use the spiraled bit though.
Another day in Paradise!

Alto Mare

Yes Bill did a great job, but you might be better off using the bit I'm showing.
Those won't cut you, they also have a cutting tip, not just the side...just a thought.

Sal

handi2

You need the straight cut bit that also has cutters on the bottom. Like Sal is showing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bill B

Not to hijack the OP, but there is a lot of useful information in this thread, and many ways to double dog various reels......may be worth a sticky...ad possibly add a few other versions...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!