Am I nuts?

Started by Swami805, November 26, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I don't believe Sheridan said anyplace in his post that this would work, ... more so he was trying to come up with a concept, that would apply to using a rod and reel, while giving some mechanical advantage.
Thinking out of the box so to speak!

If you have some idea's Id  like to hear them as well as I too am interested.

I once owned a communications tower that telescoped up to 90' and retracted to 23'. The weight was around 3500/3750 lbs. For the up and down telescoping of the tower, there was a large drum winch driven by a sizable motor with a gear reduction. In addition it had a positive pull down arrangement.

For tilting the tower over it used a huge 2 speed boat winch with a series of pulleys. I always had to refer to the manual to rig it up and thought possibly it was overkill. That being said, I always went by the book and it worked like a champ, plus it was effortless! The gentleman that designed and built this tower was a farmer from the Midwest.

Some years later, I sold it and the guy that bought it questioned the pulley arrangement.  He said it was totally unnecessary. They tried tilting it over using a different arrangement,  ... the cable snapped and down it came. Looks like there's a lot to be said about a good pulley arrangement!

.......................Lou

Swami805

So in essence one of the pulleys has to move in the direction of the pulling force for there to be an advantage. Is that correct? If the pulleys are stationary it is just re-directing the line?
Well I think I'll stick to trees. Sure looked good on paper though!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Yes but do not ever stop thinking, thinking outside the box can come up with useable ideas.  And again, Edison was good at it and was also good at learning from failure.  

If a way could be figured out how to mount a moveable pully on a rod it's retreve length limit would be less than rod length and would revert to 1:1 as soon as the pully hits it's stop.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joesan

don't know about fishing for really big stuff, but I love the heavy tug on my fishing line...the more the better
"The More Laws, The Less Justice"   Cicero

droppedit

You know if there was a way to put a movable roller between the #52 and the #42 on some sort of an adjustable tension track, now that would be the ticket. It could be in tandem with the drag and give a little relief on a sharp run or a bad wave, sort of like a shock adsorber. Then again maybe I've had too many finish fumes this afternoon ;) I like the way your thinking Sheridan.
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Tiddlerbasher

As I understand it - If you want to move 1ft of line at half the force you will need a moveable pulley that can move 2ft - 2:1 ratio. Once the pulley has reached the end of its travel (as it will) the mechanical leverage reverts to 1:1 ie no mechanical advantage just more complication and probable friction.
But don't let it stop you thinking differently. Many Eureka moments come from initial failure.

gstours

No your not nuts?   Well maybe? ???      If a person had a small pulley with the lure/leader inbetween the rod tip and fastened the bitter end to the rod tip area in a loop,   and let the line out the pulley/bait/lure would be at the end of this loop all the time, then you would have a mechanical advantage in my simple mind.   Butt the twisteys in the line would add friction,  im sure it would me a mess?
   Butt I dunno?   Interesting idea tho? :)

boon

Yep that would work gstours (other than, as you say, the inevitable tangling.

But we already have a nice way of adding mechanical advantage, the gearing in our reels  ;D

Benni3

? tight lines  :)

Keta

Quote from: Benni3 on November 28, 2017, 02:29:54 PM

A heavy duty conveyer belt tensioner, I worked on and around many.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Quote from: Keta on November 28, 2017, 02:35:11 PM

not the best idea,,,,but I have seen springs

Keta

Quote from: Benni3 on November 28, 2017, 03:04:14 PM
Quote from: Keta on November 28, 2017, 02:35:11 PM
? tight lines  :)

not the best idea,,,,but I have seen springs

Yup but the counterweight ones work better for long belts. 

Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Sheridan, I like your "out of the box" way of thinking. My take on this weaving around the rollers is yes, in theory it would work, but where is the weak link ??

As with any pulley that has a load pulling 180*, the strong point has to be the center pin, as that's where all the load is. I'm far from an engineer, but I did a lot of high mountain logging in old growth and I do have knowledge about pulleys and you have turned a few of the rollers into load bearing pulleys. The tiny screw that holds that pulley on the guide is not made to transfer the load 180*. This places the entire load onto the tiny screw that holds the pulley in place. The rollers on a rod are designed for a side load, not a full on 180* load. My guess is under extreme load you may possibly experience catastrophic failure of one of the pulley screws and say goodbye to the cow on the other end.

....of course that's just my logic, and not much at all to do with real world knowledge.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

A fiddle block arrangement is what would be needed to get this to work & because of this being mounted on a rod I believe it would be very problemamtic. How ever being a fellow tree monkey myself & given to a thinking mind set.... I will never say never or it's impossible.  

Are You Nutz ?
Well  every time we enter a tree, suspended by a 7/16"-1/2" rope, with tools of mass destruction  we run hard against sound logic & what some would call better judgement.....

Soooo  ;D ;D ;D ....Jeff  

Swami805

Yes I think there is a genetic flaw somewhere that even allows you to consider doing it. Thankfully I don't climb anymore but I run the tree crews for the company. I can usually tell by the 2nd day whether a new hire will make it or not. Even the ones who really want to aren't able to turn off that self preservation switch that allows you to overcome that built in (that's a bad idea) gene. I've been very fortunate to not have anyone die or be seriously injured on my watch. I'm a stickler when it comes to safety and will ride an employee like a rented mule if I see unsafe practices. I'm sure Jeff knows what I'm talking about, how quickly things can go wrong and the consequences of 1 bad decision.
I just kept looking at roller guides and that what if question kept rattling around
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are