Surfmaster 200

Started by Shark Hunter, January 03, 2014, 06:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on December 17, 2015, 05:55:25 PM
Beautiful, Aiala -- That aluminum spool makes this little 200 SM very capable. Nice job! Best, Fred

Thanks, Fred! Coming from you, that's a huge compliment indeed.   :)

Now, if I could only find some surf to try her out in... not much of it here in the desert.   :(

~A
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

thorhammer

I love those, and use the butterscotch bakelite whenever possible on a rebuild- fav. You can tune it a bit with STP in the tail side bushing; with the al spool it can be quite manageable for a good toss. i have put together SS clamp kits if you need one, just pm me. You will have to tell me intended seat diameter (likely 22) so I can cut the studs to fit for acorn nuts....much cleaner than wingnuts.

Sharkin904

Perfect timing as usual Daron lol, my dad just gave me a bag of parts and said "here, see what This is". Turns out it's a SurfMaster 200, and your post pretty much answers all of my questions. Any progress yet?

Shark Hunter

Not sure what you mean by progress. I finished this reel on page 4.
Life is Good!

Bill B

Aiala, you could always drive down to Red Hill Marina and practice long distance casting just trying to hit the water from the launch.....I haven't seen it lately, but I bet it's a good 1/4 mile by now...... ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Reel 224

I wounder if there is a surfmaster 200 aluminum side plates in the future?

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

Quote from: TARFU on December 27, 2015, 06:13:05 PM
Aiala, you could always drive down to Red Hill Marina and practice long distance casting just trying to hit the water from the launch.....I haven't seen it lately, but I bet it's a good 1/4 mile by now...... ;D

Bill, I haven't been down that way in close to twenty years, but I'll bet you're right. Makes me kind of sad, remembering the great days of corvina fishing I used to enjoy back then.  :-\

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Sharkin904

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 27, 2015, 03:51:58 PM
Not sure what you mean by progress. I finished this reel on page 4.

New to using an iPad, guess I totally skipped page 4 lol. Looks great man

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on December 27, 2015, 06:16:32 PM
I wounder if there is a surfmaster 200 aluminum side plates in the future?

Joe 
I highly doubt it.  Not enough market demand.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I learned that the corvina had died off about 2 years ago. Blew me away, I also haven't been down there since before the Navy. I was staying in a resort in Indio (it is still hard for me to think of indio as having resorts) and wanted to take the kids to my old stomping grounds.
Nice reel. I have made the drive to San Diego from Yuma in an afternoon. Might be worth a weekend trip.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

captquint99

Please help me date a surfmaster 200.
Here is a pic of the left side bearing. Notice the wide knurl (top pic) compared to the bottom one.

Here is a pic of the take apart screw (also note the wide knurl).

Here is a pic of the inside.

Thank you.

sdlehr

Interesting question, I just don't know if anyone can answer with the information provided. There were many, many minor hardware variations of this type through the years, and I'm not sure anyone has actually sat down and started looking at these little things carefully - it may be that the variation was so often that no sense can be made of it - as none of these little design changes affect function no one really paid much attention to them - little things like this and things like the shape of some screw heads (most notably the handle locking screw) varied in ways that may not yet have been documented. More than likely these little variations reflect changes in manufacture from companies supplying Penn with parts - I don't think Penn made all the little hardware pieces in-house. I could be wrong.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector