Dam Quick 2002 drag rebuild?

Started by GulfOfBothnia, May 01, 2012, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GulfOfBothnia

This could be mission impossible but let's try...

I have a DAM quick 2002 spinning reel.
It has break system built into the spool.

This schematics is for xxx1 models but the structure is very much the same:
http://www.reeldr.com/SCHEMATICS/DAM%20QUICK/1001_1401_2001_3001_5001.pdf

See the bottom of page 1 (part #122 is not present in my model).

Under the spool there is one plastic disc 1.5 mm thick
Above the spool there is also one plastic disc 1.2 mm thick and above that a metal washer 1.5 mm thick.

The spool surfaces (where discs sit) are slightly rough (not because worn but planned to be so)

The problem is that the drag is slightly jerky. It has been since I bought the reel.

Do you see any reasonable way to rebuild the drag e.g. with thin carbontex and metal washers?

Any ideas for this?

Bryan Young

I would replace the plastic disks with greased carbon fiber drags.  It will make a world of difference.  It sure did on the mitchells I just serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

GulfOfBothnia

I will probably go as you suggested.

Now considering the plastic disc is 1.5 mm thick - there is not probably that thick carbontex available?

What would be best way to build that one?
- 2 x 0.76 mm washer ?
- 2 x 0.50 mm washers + one 0.50 mm metal washer between?

Or does it make any difference?

Bryan Young

I wouldn't be concerned about the thickness of the washer on the top, but on the bottom, I would  2 x 0.50 mm washers + one 0.50 mm metal washer if the metal washer was SS.  Otherwise, stack  2 x 0.76 mm washer for cost sake.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D