DAM Quick 275 Super 2-Speed HD Spinner

Started by foakes, December 03, 2017, 06:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is a 275 Super ready to assemble --

These were made for only six years (1963-1968) -- in very small quantities -- and are possibly the most rare of the DAM Quicks.

We don't get to see one of these disassembled like this every day -- check out the materials, engineering, and over-built components.

Some of the features include a push button spring loaded 2 speed, aluminum spool, a very heavy duty double supported bail and line guide, steel shafts, pospher cut bronze gears, brass gear and crank support sleeves, and a replaceable stand instead of having to buy a new frame.

All parts have been cleaned 3 times, burnished, polished, and about 1/3 of the parts are New Old Stock out of the bins -- not because it was necessary -- just because it will likley be catching fish another 50 years from now, and needs to be as right as possible.

It is getting a set of Adam's CF & metal drag discs -- greased with Cal's, plus an under gear CF.

This belongs to Sheridan on our site.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Can't thank you enough Fred   Those parts look. Likely a little better than new.   Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Impeccable work as usual. Fred reworked one for me and I couldn't be happier with it!

As Sal said, ..  a master at work.

.............Lou

mo65

Love it! Lookin' great Fred...enjoy Sheridan! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

My only fear is it will be too nice to fish!  Might have to make the trip to San Diego and try to scratch a late season blue fin
Gotta say I've never been a spinning reel guy. Looks like like going to change
Thanks again Fred

Midway Tommy

My, there sure are a lot of parts there, don't misplace any, Fred!   ;)  Here's a thought. How about you do a step by step tutorial on putting it back together, please?  :) I have an old crusty example that needs a big time go through. If you do a tutorial I won't have to scratch my hair out or slope my forehead quite so bad with the palm of my hand.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Tommy --

I have taken a few pics before and during disassembly pics of the gears and 2-speed configuration and some more now -- but even with the pics it will likely be a put together, test dry, take apart 3 or 4 times until it works -- then finally lube, oil, grease -- type deal.

270's and even 270 line counters are easy enough for me to do in my head while driving -- without schematics.

This 275 is a different animal -- and I have never been able to locate a schematic for one.  Got shop manuals for all other Quicks -- not this one.  (If anyone has a schematic, I would greatly appreciate it before reassembling in a couple of days).

There are (10) shims, washers, and springs -- plus 13 additional 2 speed parts that all must be just right.

There was so much crud and grease when disassembling -- that I couldn't tell exactly which ones went where -- but I believe it will go back together with what repair guys like you and me know about these old soldiers.

Don't think there will be time for a detailed tutorial -- just got back from Church and teaching Sunday School -- and there are 3 other reels that need to be completed to mail tomorrow.  Plus, my schedule is to complete as much of the backlog of 80+ reels before 12/18, as possible,

And since only 4 pics can be posted easily at a time on our site -- it is just time that I do not currently have.

But if you get stuck on yours, I will have pics and perhaps a little helpful hint or two.

The only part that was rusted and disintegrated was a tiny coil spring for the 2-speed push/pull rod.  Substituted a tiny Penn dog spring that may work -- if not, will improvise further.

All of the rest of the rust, crud, salt, and lubes from 55 years ago came clean after a few baths and polishing.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on December 03, 2017, 10:56:11 PM

270's and even 270 line counters are easy enough for me to do in my head while driving -- without schematics.

Best,

Fred

A clear case of distracted driving if you ask me.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Sheridan is a lucky Man to have you on this reel.
Master at work. ;)
Life is Good!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Swami805

Believe me, I feel much more than lucky. Thanks Fred, no hurry, this must be like one of those "Zen" projects where the proper frame of mind is Important.
Funny thing, I saw a post on here about the reel about a year ago, sounded interesting, checked Ebay and there it was. Guess I just got lucky.
Seen a few pop up since.
Thanks Sheridan