DAM Quick 275 Super 2-Speed HD Spinner

Started by foakes, December 03, 2017, 06:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

I'll be watching closely!

Picked this up in the neighborhood from one of the old guys. (I'm a youngster here at 65).

Maybe, gulp ???, it's finally time to jump in and , gulp :'(, attempt a rebuild.  Why not?

If Fred can do it...  Ohh no!

Pretty smooth shifting... springs are shot.

Steve

happyhooker

Really great look at a really nice reel going to a really fine AT member from another one.

Frank

Swami805

My Wife got me a package of those fishing towels your reel is sitting on. Always just used my pants before that. I don't know what they're made of but even baracuda slime wipes off with those. Into the washer, the smell is gone and good as new, and they clip on your belt loop. Don't know what they're called but right up there with sliced bread. Think she got them at Big5 maybe. Am I right Steve? You use yours?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Midway Tommy

Everything on my crustation  :D works as it should, just really, really stiff. I didn't pay much for it, $27.00 shipped, but it looked awful greasy & grungy. It had a oily looking sheen to it so I think someone thought spraying it down with WD40 would preserve it better. I hate that stuff so when I scrubbed the outside with dish soap and water all the green areas turned really dull. I was so surprised & frustrated I just put it back in the storage bin and figured I tackle it some day when I'm in better humor.   ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 04, 2017, 05:25:18 AM
Everything on my crustation  :D works as it should, just really, really stiff. I didn't pay much for it, $27.00 shipped, but it looked awful greasy & grungy. It had a oily looking sheen to it so I think someone thought spraying it down with WD40 would preserve it better. I hate that stuff so when I scrubbed the outside with dish soap and water all the green areas turned really dull. I was so surprised & frustrated I just put it back in the storage bin and figured I tackle it some day when I'm in better humor.   ;)

If it were mine, Tommy --

I would just do a complete dissasemble --

Take the rotor, body, sideplate, badge, and stand down to the powder coating shop -- and just have them dip it in their tank to remove the paint down to aluminum.  Probably charge you $10 or $20.

Then take it back home and spray it with wrinkle paint such as Eastman's or Krylon in the same color green.

Then a coat of light grey on the stand and badge.

Put it back together after doing your magic cleaning of all the parts.

If you can't find the exact colors -- a good automotive paint shop, vintage radio, typewriter restoration, or hot rod outfit will match it for you in the green wrinkle paint.  Just like the old radios, and valve covers in hot rods.

The badge and stand are just a salt proof light grey -- but any matching grey will work -- doesn't have to be wrinkle -- just a flat pastel color on the badge and stand -- slightly rough.

This is the way this reel was originally painted at the factory -- so you are not changing anything except improving the looks.

The WD-40 was likely sprayed on the reel to improve the looks for selling.

When you washed it off -- the carriage turned back into a pumpkin.

But nothing restores to original 55 year old flat wrinkle paint.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Quote from: swill88 on December 04, 2017, 03:36:41 AM
I'll be watching closely!

Picked this up in the neighborhood from one of the old guys. (I'm a youngster here at 65).

Maybe, gulp ???, it's finally time to jump in and , gulp :'(, attempt a rebuild.  Why not?

If Fred can do it...  Ohh no!

Pretty smooth shifting... springs are shot.

Steve

Good 275 example, Steve --

Be cautious on this rebuild -- there are parts that need to come apart in a certain way, with certain tools, many parts of which are not made of Unobtanium -- they are rather constructed of makeanotherfromscratch-ium. 

Simple things such as removing the pin from the crank without ruining a unreplaceable handle in aluminum, steel, and fused together over 55 years -- or getting the shift pin to release from the shift mechanism without ruining the red knob.

Or finding tiny rusted parts as you dissassemble that seem unidentifiable and dissimilar to any other reel you have ever worked on.

You may be a lot better at this this I am -- but I might consider starting with a couple of the more simple Quicks such as a 330 or 220 -- just to get the techniques more comfortable.

Of course, I am available for consult or basic parts, as needed -- or just keep a coffee can nearby to chunk all of the parts into -- and send it to me.  Or wait until our next fishing trip to drop it off.

Keep us posted on your progress -- you can do this -- just don't get frustrated -- we have your back, and there are always options.

It is just a fishing reel...not that important, really.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Very interesting reels. I saw a website where Alan Hawk reviewed these.  He said there was little demand for them so they were discontinued. Seems there is more demand now some 50-60 years later.

handyandy

fred awesome to see you at on one of these. I would request some pics of the spring your talking about cause mine was none existent when I took mine apart at least I don't remember it if it was there? Might have to go back and look through my own thread. I didn't get as involved really getting all the components polished up like yours I mostly just burnished the pieces that rotating/moving on each other. Mine is working well both gears work. Fine I need to get the red knob back on you sent me, trying to remember where it's at now. I can't wait to be able to get the carbon fiber drags and metal drag disc to up grade the drag on mine and my regular super.

Alto Mare

Well, after Fred's beautiful introduction of the 275, I had to get busy hunting one down.
Sure enough within a few hours, success! This came today and I finally just got a chance to open the box:

I had no idea this reel was so big... what a tank.
Thanks for the inspiration Fred, I'm glad I grabbed this one. Can't wait to take a closer look.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Wow, That's a beauty looks almost new.It's a big heavy reel but incredibly smooth when you turn the handle or engage the shifter. That's a score right there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

That is a great example wish the one I picked up was that mint. Even though considering the starting condition of mine I don't think it had an easy life, after cleaning it, and re greasing it still functions flawlessly is amazingly smooth for the size. 

happyhooker

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2017, 04:05:50 AM
Well, after Fred's beautiful introduction of the 275, I had to get busy hunting one down.
Sure enough within a few hours, success! This came today and I finally just got a chance to open the box:

I had no idea this reel was so big... what a tank.
Thanks for the inspiration Fred, I'm glad I grabbed this one. Can't wait to take a closer look.

Sal

Wow, looks like it just came off the factory line.

Frank

Shark Hunter

Great Score Sal.
I need to find one of these.
Life is Good!

festus

I saw a 2 speed Super 270 last night either on ebay or Goodwill for less than 10 bucks plus shipping.  Got sidetracked by something then forgot to respond or went to sleep, checked again this morning and couldn't find it.  :-[