Penn Senator 12/0 main gear showing under star drag wheel?

Started by JnM Fishing, December 04, 2017, 03:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JnM Fishing

I purchased a side plate to replace my old one from scotts but unlike the older one, this side plate did not come with a metal ring in the hole where the main gear goes, is the main gear supposed to be visible ?

Alto Mare

If yours is in good shape pull it out and place it in the new plate.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JnM Fishing

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2017, 03:17:03 AM
If yours is in good shape pull it out and place it in the new plate.

Sal

How do you remove it from the sideplate without damaging it?

Shark Hunter

It should pull right off with some channel locks or pliers.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

If it doesn't want to come out, do as Daron mentioned, but I would protect the jaws with something, maybe even a rag.
If you work on many reels, it is a good idea to have a set of pliers with some type of protection on the jaws, even a couple of pieces of hose of the correct size. the ones they sell don't do it for me.
Honestly though, I pull most of mine with my hands. Push from the inner side with your thumb and pull from the opposite side, using your other thumb for leverage. It should come right out with no problems.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

The metal ring will come out so you can get the gear out easier. Put the old metal ring into the new side plate.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

I imagen, its a bit like pushing new shims into a wheel hub, spread the jaws on the vice just that bit wider, get a socket that just fits good, then some light taps with a hammer, refit it the same way, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2017, 12:13:08 PM

Honestly though, I pull most of mine with my hands. Push from the inner side with your thumb and pull from the opposite side, using your other thumb for leverage. It should come right out with no problems.

Best,

Sal

Hey Sal not everybody has hands of iron.  That masonry work probably built of hands of iron.  Of course you don't need pliers.  You probably don't even need socket wrenches.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on December 04, 2017, 06:25:15 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 04, 2017, 12:13:08 PM

Best,

Sal

Hey Sal not everybody has hands of iron.  That masonry work probably built of hands of iron.  Of course you don't need pliers.  You probably don't even need socket wrenches.   :D ;D Dominick
You might be correct Minicuccio, but that ring should still come out by hand. If you or anyone else can't do it, time to put that 12/0 down and pick up the 1/0 ;) ;D

Donnyboat

Sorry, did not mean to confuse anyone, if you have a combined set of sockets, imperial & metric, you should be able to get the perfect fit, just a light tap with a soft piece of soft wood should do, rather than a sledge hammer, Sal I am down to a 349 & 113, shore am getting weaker, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat