A different type of cradle for a 6/0 Senator

Started by sdlehr, December 06, 2017, 08:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Just came across this cradle reel on the big auction site with a name stamped on the bottom. Because it is also stamped "PAT APPLD' FOR" I doubt the name is that of the owner, but "JW Smith" isn't a manufacturer I've heard of before. Anyone know what this is?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Swami805

I think I saw it too if it had a slight green color to it. Interesting design,very simple looking and clean lines. I have no idea who made it but maybe an early proto-type or something.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Better get out your wallet if you want to outbid those heavy hitters. Too bad there's not a "poor mans" cradle   :D  :D

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

sdlehr

OK, so I answered my own question, I found another photo of a Nep-Tuna cradle for a Senator with the same structure and gimbal... but the question remains why the "PAT APPLD' FOR" and "J.W. SMITH" are stamped in by the manufacturer (I see the reflections curving at the edge of the letters, that's why I think it's stamped and not engraved) unless Nep-Tuna offered this as a customized accent on their Senator cradles.... and note it doesn't say "APPL'D". Another hint this wasn't a mass-production and is a unique piece.
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Penn Chronology

QuoteOK, so I answered my own question, I found another photo of a Nep-Tuna cradle for a Senator with the same structure and gimbal... but the question remains why the "PAT APPLD' FOR" and "J.W. SMITH" are stamped in by the manufacturer (I see the reflections curving at the edge of the letters, that's why I think it's stamped and not engraved) unless Nep-Tuna offered this as a customized accent on their Senator cradles.... and note it doesn't say "APPL'D". Another hint this wasn't a mass-production and is a unique piece.
Sid

This cradle has nothing to do with Neptuna. Number 1, the reel mounted in it is a first generation 6/0 placing this cradle in the 1940's or earlier. The style is Ocean City; but, it is not an OC cradle. More than likely this is a One-Off copy of an Ocean City Design.

One of our members has won it, so he may come into this conversation. This is a very rare piece. Answers are still elusive.

54bullseye

Mike
I don't think you can rule out Nep-Tuna all together ! I can certainly see the Ocean City style in it but if it was an Ocean City design why wouldn't they have used an Ocean City reel they were around then ?? Prototype from someone probably a one off and as I said on ORCA I hope more info pops up on J.W. Smith !!  I will say I am kind of happy to own it ! Looks like a lot of work went into casting and design for only one cradle ! Must have been a person with some mechanical talent and foresight and possibly some money behind him to make such a cradle. Hopefully more info will pop up to help fill in pieces of the puzzle.   John Taylor

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

I was watching that one too.  Glad John got it.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

Glad it went to John too. There's an odd looking 10/0 cradle on there now too. Looks very simple unlike anything I've seen. Hope I'm not messing with the eBay bid thing.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Devil Dawg

Lots of info on Neptunas. My Neptuna has a Penn 349 Master Mariner currently loaded. Looking for a list of Penn reels that are interchangeable for my cradle.

mikeysm

Their are no others just the 49 series. A 49l will also work I will have to look again but I think it is drilled for it.

Mike