for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Yeah, that's another good one. I used bread, but it worked well.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

cranker789

Just found a Penn pursuit iv on top of a garbage can at the park. looks like the only thing wrong with it is a bent main shaft and the handle. Ive ordered the parts. Looks like all the gears are going to be fine but there's a lot of metal shavings on the gears. What's the best way to clean off the gears completely and regrease? I read lighter fluid but I don't have any. Will soap and water do the trick?

Swami805

An old toothbrush and some kind of solvent to break down the old grease. Soap and water might be ok if you really work at it with a toothbrush or something
Do what you can with that you have where you are

cranker789

Roan

I have a vintage Haidong Master 808 reel. I want to swap the handle from right side to left. It is not like normal reels in that the other side does not accommodate the post. Are these reels not "switchable" or is there a trick to it?  Thank you.

alantani

i took a quick look but could not find anything online.  photos might help.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Should be reversible crank mount from right to left.

Typically, just unscrew the cover cap on the opposite side.

There should be a screw inside to remove.

Or, the entire crank assembly may just unscrew if rotated backwards.

But generally, on Asian & Korean reels —- there is a screw on the opposite side under the cap.

Like Alan said —- post some pics.

Welcome!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Roan

I will have to dig out my good camera to take a couple clear pictures. But more info may help. I took the screw out from under the cap on the left. On the other side, I pulled the handle out.  But the left side opening is smaller (it accommodates the screw only) than the right where I pulled the handle post out, so the handle post will not insert on the left.  I cannot see anything else to take out and I was leaning toward taking the reel apart.  Maybe this info helps a bit more. If no, I will try to take a couple pictures over the weekend.  Thanks for trying to help. Appreciate it.

foakes

It will switch over —- there is just something we are missing without more info.

Maybe someone else on our site knows.

Should be easy.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Found info!

ExcessiveAngler

Found info

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: alantani on August 19, 2023, 01:38:28 AMdidn't call, but the link is active.  https://berinsontackle.com/
Thank you for replying Alan
Hope all is well on your end sir!

After further research, I was able to clear things up!
Thanks again!

foakes

Paul Berinson is a solid guy.

Lots of times, a website will look like it is closed because the owner of the website wouldn't renew or buy the domain from a third party hostage blackmailer.

You are correct, there are plenty of crooks and deceivers on the internet —- and it will only get worse with the advent of AI.

Paul is not one of them —- he is a straight shooter.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

ExcessiveAngler

Quote from: foakes on August 19, 2023, 06:09:49 AMPaul Berinson a solid guy.

Lots of times, a website will look like it is closed because the owner of the website wouldn't renew or buy the domain from a third party hostage blackmailer.

You are correct, there are plenty of crooks and deceivers on the internet —- and it will only get worse with the advent of AI.

Paul is not one of them —- he is a straight shooter.

Best, Fred
Yes, I know that Fred!
I edited out my comments above, because I wouldn't want anyone, to get the wrong idea about him or his business!
So I hope that is acceptable!
As I would never want, to tarnish anyone's reputation or name!
There is definitely, some scam sites on the web right now, that look identical to others!