winter reds

Started by Three se7ens, December 17, 2017, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

Thanks, Adam. Great reports!
Steve

Benni3

That's some nice size fish that put up a great fight,,,, ;D and it's "murdder" to land them in a kayak,,,,really great job,,,, ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: Benni3 on January 27, 2019, 10:09:19 PM
That's some nice size fish that put up a great fight,,,, ;D and it's "murdder" to land them in a kayak,,,,really great job,,,, ;D

They put up a good fight, but I think a kayak makes light tackle easier than on a boat or land.  I typically run around 3 lbs of drag on my inshore stuff, and even that pulls the yak around.  That thick 26" red pulled drag maybe a dozen times, over the course of a few minutes, but it never really got farther from me than the initial cast.  Those last two reds were caught on 10 lb braid with a 12 lb fluoro leader, Crowder ML rod and shimano 2500 reel.  Seriously light tackle, but heavier wouldnt have much impact on the outcome or fight time from a kayak. 

I dont feel undergunned running 15 or even 10 lb braid, and catching reds up to my personal best of 29."  But such light setups are a dream to use, and you cant beat the casting performance of a quality setup and light line.  My 3 main inshore setups weigh between 13 and 15 oz rigged.  Thats rod, reel, line, leader, and lure.  My cabo 40 reel weighs more by itself...

Benni3

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 30, 2019, 01:35:26 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on January 27, 2019, 10:09:19 PM

They put up a good fight, but I think a kayak makes light tackle easier than on a boat or land.  I typically run around 3 lbs of drag on my inshore stuff, and even that pulls the yak around.  That thick 26" red pulled drag maybe a dozen times, over the course of a few minutes, but it never really got farther from me than the initial cast.  Those last two reds were caught on 10 lb braid with a 12 lb fluoro leader, Crowder ML rod and shimano 2500 reel.  Seriously light tackle, but heavier wouldnt have much impact on the outcome or fight time from a kayak. 

I dont feel undergunned running 15 or even 10 lb braid, and catching reds up to my personal best of 29."  But such light setups are a dream to use, and you cant beat the casting performance of a quality setup and light line.  My 3 main inshore setups weigh between 13 and 15 oz rigged.  Thats rod, reel, line, leader, and lure.  My cabo 40 reel weighs more by itself...

yes sir,,,,sounds like you got a great set up,,,,I walked in to the crowder rod company by accident,,, :D really nice guys there,,,,having a 13to15oz set up 3lb drag is what I like,,,, ;) and a 29in red!!!! That's no joke,,,great job,,,, :D I just have a hard time landing the hybrids at the cove with 3 rods out,,,it does put on a good show for the bass fisherman,,,,, ;D

Three se7ens

I love my crowder rods. I have two salutes, both 7'6", one 6-12 line and one 8-15 line. I liked the 6-12 so much I sold a st croix mojo and replaced it with the 8-15 crowder salute. The Crowders have a slower action that I really like. And they are stupid light, under 5 oz for mine.