Garcia 3000 Spinning Reel

Started by foakes, December 17, 2017, 05:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

One of our members, PJ, sent me this reel to check over for him.

Lot of folks make fun of the Japanese Garcias -- but this is a very solid reel that will perform well.

He intended to use it for saltwater -- however, I recommended that it was not too suitable for salt -- so he wants to set it up as a lake reel.

It was dirty, and had the original factory grease inside, felt a little dried up -- however, it appears to have never been on a rod or fished.

These are not valuable reels, but they are of a good quality.   Metal frame, rotor, pinion ball bearing, aluminum spool, decent drag stack.  They fish well.

Disassembled, cleaned all parts, will install greased CF's plus a better under gear washer -- use modern lubes when ressembling -- it will be a flawless fresh water reel.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Looks like a steel main gear (or maybe duralumin) and a brass pinion.

Frank

Midway Tommy

It is definitely not steel. Mitchell reduced quality as time went on.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

newfuturevintage

I recently picked up a pretty roached out Garcia 9000 at a fishing tournament from a free box in front of a neighbor's campsite. It was totally frozen, so I tore into it and was shocked to see how few parts and how chintzy they were when compared to Mitchells of similar size.

Of course, I cleaned, greased, and oiled it to see how it'd behave, and surprisingly, I think it'll be just fine for heavy freshwater and maybe light salt duty. I do need to replace the bearing as that's pretty rough feeling, but am in no hurry as this reel's definitely not going to see much use.

I fear may be a hoarder.

grekim

I just stumbled across this thread.  This is the one spinning reel I have been able to find from my grandfather.   I feel there may be more somewhere since he had several saltwater rods of different sizes.  In any case, this reel had no spool so I found another 3000 on ebay that happened to have an extra spool.  So, now I have two 3000's :)  Spins very smoothly, but I think I have to agree that it may be best kept as a lake reel.  Service was pretty straight forward as I recall.
Educating fish on every trip

Chuck750ss

Just picked one of these up. Wasn't wanting it. In fact, thought it was a 300. Of which I have several of. (Made in France Mitchell Garcia's) Paired up with a 550 Dam and a 2091-A Sea Wonder both of which I did want. So, looks like I made out better than I thought. 30$ delivered to my door for all three.
Reel needs cleaned and lubed. Other than that, it is fine.

happyhooker

Quote from: Chuck750ss on January 29, 2018, 02:26:17 AM
Just picked one of these up. Wasn't wanting it. In fact, thought it was a 300. Of which I have several of. (Made in France Mitchell Garcia's) Paired up with a 550 Dam and a 2091-A Sea Wonder both of which I did want. So, looks like I made out better than I thought. 30$ delivered to my door for all three.
Reel needs cleaned and lubed. Other than that, it is fine.

That, mein kamerad, was a super deal.

Frank

Chuck750ss

Blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.

thorhammer

Quote from: newfuturevintage on December 20, 2017, 08:57:43 PM
I recently picked up a pretty roached out Garcia 9000 at a fishing tournament from a free box in front of a neighbor's campsite. It was totally frozen, so I tore into it and was shocked to see how few parts and how chintzy they were when compared to Mitchells of similar size.

Of course, I cleaned, greased, and oiled it to see how it'd behave, and surprisingly, I think it'll be just fine for heavy freshwater and maybe light salt duty. I do need to replace the bearing as that's pretty rough feeling, but am in no hurry as this reel's definitely not going to see much use.

I fear may be a hoarder.

youre in the right place.....

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 18, 2017, 04:45:01 AM
It is definitely not steel. Mitchell reduced quality as time went on.

Tommy, mine is not magnetic. Don't see any casting marks.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: thorhammer on January 30, 2018, 08:40:21 PM
Quote from: newfuturevintage on December 20, 2017, 08:57:43 PM

I fear may be a hoarder.

youre in the right place.....

;D

Chuck750ss

Got mine cleaned and lubed. Not much cleaning to do. Whoever had it took pretty good care of it. Was not fished much. And the factory used a minimum amount of grease. Very smooth reel. Spool it with line. Ready to fish. Probably go ahead and install carbonex washers. Thought about skipping that, but I since I am going to fish with it might as well install them and be done with it.
Not a top notch reel, but not bad either. They could have spent a bit more on the reel and have a good as it gets reel.

MitchelGarcia

Perhaps not a reel of high pedigree, but have been blessed to use them for years. The higher retrieve speed works great on rivers and large creeks. They work great with 8 to 12lb mono. The biggest hard to land fish I have hauled in with them were Coho Salmon in SE Alaska. Great memories.

Ron Jones

I've been looking for the large skirted spool at a decent price for a while now. They always start out around 20 bucks and end up close to 100, so someone knows something. I've decided that my 499 is to good and to rare, it will hang on a wall.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

489 but you know you are going there already