CITICA 200E assistance please

Started by KAYAKGUY, June 30, 2011, 01:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KAYAKGUY

OK, so after heavy saltwater use I decided to take my Citica 200e apart for a good cleaning. I lined up all the parts and thought I put them back together correctly but when I turned the handle it felt like the drive gear was slipping and grinding. After taking it back apart and reassembling it several times I got the bright idea to take my other Citica apart and compare....well now I have two reels with the same problem. It seems like the drive gear and pinion are not matching up and that the teeth are jumping. On the second reel I only removed the side plate and went no further but when I reassembled it....same problem as the first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Nessie Hunter

IM going to take a guess here, as its quite common if you havnt run into it several times..

The Schematic is here --->
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Low_Profile/09CI200E_v1_m56577569830654409.pdf

Now check out Part # 3474 (roller clutch inner sleeve) this sleeve has 2 ears on bottom that fit into top Drag washer plate #2430 (Key Washer)..  It is hard to keep the ears in place when replacing the side cover..
The slightest off track or back off of plate to align it AND the Ears come out of the slots...
You have to be very careful and align the cover as it goes on, do not back it up/off at all...
Try that and see if it helps..
With the ears not in place it causes way overload of pressure in the drag stack, it binds up badly and is hard to turn handle..
On Reel #2 that you took side cover "only" off of, that seems like the only problem I can think of...
Of course many issues can affect reel #1 that you took completely apart..  *Dont ask me how I know*, but even having the Pinion gear in upside down could cause what you describe in Reel #1...

So many small things to look for, to the untrained or "punished" eye!!!  
LOL

Let us know what you find or if this helps at all.  We will go to step #2....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

review the curado post.  it will be very similar.  can you keep us posted.  the answer is in there, somewhere......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

KAYAKGUY

I think the issues are solved. On reel #1 that I broke completely down it looks like the anti reverse pawl was in the wrong position and it was binding, it also could have been the ears on the spacer as well. On the second reel I think you were right on the money. I noticed the ears but when I put the side plate on I didn't go straight down and probably wiggled them out. Thanks for the help.

One more question for the experts. Reel #1 still has a rattle in what I think is the spool bearing in the left side plate. I'm guessing its time for a new bearing and the drag washers seem to be worn as well. Obviously the cheaper answer is to order parts but my question is...is the Curado that much better? Should I upgrade the Citicas or over time replace with Curados or something else? Just wondering what your opinions are.

Nessie Hunter

A well maintained Citica will serve you well for a lifetime (or close to it)???

The rattle may be the Casting control.  Little Plastic caps that slide to control cast overrun (#3505)..
They can be pushed in the down position and will click & stay.  Try that, see if the noise abates..??
If not then Spool bearings are in order for it...

Some Greased Carbontex drags and clean light oiled spool bearings, occasional service and the reels are very good.
Make sure and not get any grease in or around the Pinion Bearing to Spool shaft.  That significantly slows the casting down.

You can get everything at Smoothdrags.com, Bearings, Drags and Oils, greases etc etc...

Also if you service and pack with grease the bearing at base of Main shaft #2470..  There is sometimes a small water drain hole out the frame, the grease will sometimes be pushed out the hole and contact the Spool edge, (might be thinking of the Chronarch??) This again will slow your casting to a snails pace.  Make sure and not over grease and check for it squirting out the hole before you put the Spool back in & close it up...  Just FYI....
I have had customers send reels back to me with this problem.   They didnt know how to get the spool out to check for it, after I told them to check and explained how to get Spool out etc...  
Amazing!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

KAYAKGUY

I really appreciate the help and the website in general...there is so much information here. So thanks for the replies and assistance...I'm sure I'll have some more questions in the future cause I've got several reels that are overdue for maintenance.

alantani

you're welcomed.  and don't be embarassed about pointing out any difficulties you have.  chances are alot of guys have had the same issue before. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!