IMPORTANT re: T60XN: Please let me know if you need extra screws. See below

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, May 09, 2018, 10:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Some of the holes in the new Tiburon T60XN kits require shorter screws than the stock Penn set up uses.  I have researched the correct part numbers on mysticparts.com, and verified that information by sampling the screws from a new in the box 114H with the original five posts and stamped base construction.  Here is the correct set up for the screws for the T60XN. I have tested it and it works fine with no screws sticking out of the frame holes.  I know that this is going to sound complicated, so I am going to attach a drawing of each side plate to make it clear what goes where:

The three short screws for the base work fine in the same location in the T60XN, in fact they work in all of the holes on the left side.  These are part number 32-20, and they are approximately 5/8" long overall.  

The remaining five screws in the holes for the posts on the left side (these are part number 39-12 and they are approximately 13/16" long) are too long for the remaining holes on the left side, but they fit all of the holes on the right side except for the top center hole, which requires a slightly shorter screw, the 31-11 right side base screw, at 11/16".  Install four of these in the right side post holes and the fifth in the left side center hole for the base.

There are three #31-11 right side base screws.  Two can stay where they are, and one of them needs to be moved to the top right side hole.

The remaining five screws in the holes for the posts on the right side (part number 39-13 at approximately 15/16") are too long for any hole except for the bottom center hole.  You can swap the 31-11 11/16" screw in that hole with the #39-13 15/16" screw in the top center hole.  The remaining four longest screws (#39-13) cannot be used on the T60XN kit, so put them in your spare parts box.

That leaves four missing screws for the posts on the left side (to replace the 39-12 screws that you moved to the post holes on the right side).  Here we have several options.

1.  If you have any combination of four 39-12 or 32-20 screws, you can use them in these four empty post holes on the left side.

2.  If you don't have those screws, and if are very handy with tools, you can cut down the four 39-13 extra screws to the correct length, if you can do so without messing up the ends of the threads Any length between the #32-20 and the #39-12 will work.

3.  If you don't have the screws and you don't want to mess around with cutting the #39-13 screws, I would be happy to mail you 4 of the #32-20 screws.  I will package those four screws with all of the kits that I ship in the future, beginning today.

Please let me know if you need me to send you the screws.  I am very sorry for not being aware of the problem from day one.  I assembled a reel at Tiburon with what I thought were stock screws when I picked the first run of the kits up and they fit fine except for the top center screw on both sides, but that problem was solved by swapping the center base screw with the longer screw, so no extra screws were required.  

Swill, your screws are going out today.  Thank you for pointing out the problem and for your patience.

Randy

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

handi2

An electricians wire stripper with the threaded holes will make quick work at cutting screws with no damage. That's what its for.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

swill88

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: handi2 on May 10, 2018, 02:35:32 PM
An electricians wire stripper with the threaded holes will make quick work at cutting screws with no damage. That's what its for.

Thank you for the information Keith.  I'm going to have to get one!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: swill88 on May 10, 2018, 02:39:17 PM
What is the thread size of the 114H frame screws?

Would someone please answer Steve's question?

Thanks,

Randy

Keta

I just ordered the short screws I needed from MysticParts, it should not be up to you to supply them.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fordfox

Swami805

There's a specialty fastener store by my office. What type size thread etc. should I be asking for.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Sheridan, I see that they're giving lots of answer but not what you've asked. ::)
The screw size on the 114H are 8-40 for the plates and 10-32 for the bridge...just in case.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Thanks Sal for the thread size.  A couple things, it is easy to cut down screws but, do you want to? What if you want these plates to go back to the original bars or posts?
Second, I think Randy is right to offer to provide them if needed. JMO.
Steve

Alto Mare

Steve and Sheridan, somehow I always mix you guys up, I've done it in emails as well... sorry about that.
I'm thinking it might be the s and w, on your names, the number 8 isn't helping🙂.
On this one I got lucky, you both were asking the same question. :)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

farmer56

Randy...  farmer  56  here  ....    yes  save  me  one  set  of  screws  ....  don't  mail  yet   ...  i'm  sure  you  have  something  else  i   want    "NEED"    thanks  farmer  out  ....