Daiwa 8600

Started by The Fishing Hobby, December 22, 2017, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I just uploaded a video about the old Daiwa 8600 reels. Thought I would post it here in case anyone needs to see how to put them together. The last part of the video shows reassembly in high speed but you can slow it down using YouTube's playback speed settings if you need to.
These are very nice reels. Worm gear drive with 3 ball bearings (1 on the pinion gear and 1 on each side of the main drive gear) and a 6 disk drag (Teflon/metal drag stack). Very similar to the old Penn Spinfishers with the exception of the two extra ball bearings. The handles even look very similar except for the grip.
If anyone knows anything about them, I would love to hear it!
Tight lines!

mo65

Very interesting reel...thanks for the heads up! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Chuck750ss

Thanks. Excellent video.

Wolli

good old times....

My first strong saltwater reel was a Daiwa GS9. Bought in 1972 and survived fishing in Bahamas and Sierra Leone and is still working.
Interesting to compare the gear with the Daiwa 7000HDF
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

The Fishing Hobby

I just recently picked up the 8100 which is the ultralight in this series and will be doing a video on that one too!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on February 24, 2018, 02:52:55 PM
I just recently picked up the 8100 which is the ultralight in this series and will be doing a video on that one too!
Looking forward to it. Might as well do one on the 8300 too,right? ;)

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Chuck750ss on February 25, 2018, 05:27:04 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on February 24, 2018, 02:52:55 PM
Looking forward to it. Might as well do one on the 8300 too,right? ;)
That is definitely on the to do list!

basto

WOW!!  What an incredible reel. I did not know Daiwa ever made a worm gear drive spinner. Very desirable reel indeed. I have an ABU cardinal 5 with worm drive that was made in Japan.
Thanks very much for the video.
Basto 
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Chuck750ss

Quote from: basto on March 19, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
WOW!!  What an incredible reel. I did not know Daiwa ever made a worm gear drive spinner. Very desirable reel indeed. I have an ABU cardinal 5 with worm drive that was made in Japan.
Thanks very much for the video.
Basto 

As good as the video is(and it is excellent!) you need to tear one down yourself to really appreciate this reel. Smooth as glass. Built extremely well. Solid as a rock. Don't care for the Teflon drags, but those are easy to replace.

The Fishing Hobby

I'm a big fan of the Japanese made Cardinal 3 and 4 myself. The Daiwa 8600 is really great too and more ruggedly built. The advantage of the Cardinals is a smoother drag, silent anti-reverse, better line lay and a bail that can be closed manually. The Daiwa advantages are an aluminum spool, more rugged build, easier maintenance and 3 ball bearings. Either reel is a keeper in my book! I couldn't pick one over the other personally. I'd put the Shakespeare 2052 and 2062 reels right up there with these reels too. Simple design smooth as glass.

CapeFish

I am not sure if I am just too rough with tackle but I had Daiwas, Mitchells, DAM, Point Sportsman, Silstar spinning reels I tried in the salt and every single one got wrecked in no time. Stripped gears, broken handles, corrosion corrosion and more corrosion and broken handles. As soon as I learnt too cast a multiplier I never used a spinning reel in the salt for 20+ years and it was the end of reel failures. Since last year though I have decided to take the plunge again and bought a few new ones to get full benefit spinning with braid, early days still, but so far so good except for a Fin nor Lethal 40 that had a frame failure and shaft bending. It still sort of works though after I replaced te frame but it is as rough as a goat's leg.

The Fishing Hobby

You shouldn't be able to strip the gears on a worm gear drive spinning reel...at least I wouldn't think it should be possible anyway. There are more than 2 teeth engaged at all times. Corrosion issues are hard to combat. I can see signs of corrosion under the paint on this Daiwa and on the leg and around the chrome on the handle. Of course this one was made in the 1960's so it is in good shape still for its age.

Midway Tommy

Other than cheap pot metal gearing, paint & chrome degradation were the biggest problems with many of the foreign made reels from the mid '50s through the early '70s, and Japan wasn't the only one that had adherence issues. As well made as Italian reels were, for some reason their chrome adhesion was terrible, and salt water wasn't the culprit. Normal wear & surface bubbling are two totally different issues and once the bubbling starts there's no cure short of stripping & resurfacing. I hate that problem.  :( 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Nice reel, and thanks for the video too.  The internals look like they'll last forever if periodically maintained.  The restrained silver/black color combo is real eye candy.  I noticed that the bail trip looks like it is cast into the frame, and that being aluminum, it hopefully won't have the issues with wear that foakes mentioned recently in a post about, I think it was, Shakespeare Royal Maroons.  When you were reassembling that area of the reel, I noticed some sort of plastic-looking "whatever" that was installed into that area of the reel--what was that and what purpose was it intended to serve?  It got screwed down when you tightened the last ball bearing retainer screw.

Frank

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: happyhooker on March 20, 2018, 08:13:47 PM
Nice reel, and thanks for the video too.  The internals look like they'll last forever if periodically maintained.  The restrained silver/black color combo is real eye candy.  I noticed that the bail trip looks like it is cast into the frame, and that being aluminum, it hopefully won't have the issues with wear that foakes mentioned recently in a post about, I think it was, Shakespeare Royal Maroons.  When you were reassembling that area of the reel, I noticed some sort of plastic-looking "whatever" that was installed into that area of the reel--what was that and what purpose was it intended to serve?  It got screwed down when you tightened the last ball bearing retainer screw.

Frank
That part is a metal ramp that works the bail trip. There is no harshness to the bail trip at all because of that ramp. Bail trip is smooth as silk. Smoothest I have ever experienced on any reel.
I have seen other reels with a similar ramp but this one works the best out of the ones I have owned.