SS2600 Rotor and Main Shaft Play

Started by Paul Roberts, February 21, 2022, 03:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Roberts

Picked up a spanking new SS2600 and found that there is quite a bit of play in the main shaft and rotor. I can manually rock the rotor and shaft back and forth. My 1600 and1300 also have a little of that play but much less. I see that the tail end of the main shaft is not supported in these reels. Taking the butt cap off exposes the oscillation worm gear's end, which is supported by a nylon bushing. This also moves. My question is this: Will replacing that worm gear bushing with a ball bearing tighten up shaft play? This is a common upgrade for this line of reels. Does it tighten things up? Or is the end of the worm gear just...another place to stick a ball bearing?

philaroman

bushing under pinion (#48 Pinion Holder) supports/centers shaft indirectly
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0384/6645/3641/files/SS2600.pdf
see if it's damaged or missing & check frame where it goes in

Glos

If the housing isn`t right I would try teflon tape around bushing.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

JasonGotaProblem

I don't have any SS2600 but I have 5 daiwa SS reels and I feel like im moderately familiar with them. One of their biggest weaknesses is that the assembly process, specifically the "fit n finish" is subpar.

If your rotor is moving then I suspect either you're missing a washer near the AR assembly or your rotor nut is loose. I recommend removing the rotor and comparing what you see below to the part diagram. If the washer is there, make sure the rotor is tight on reassembly.  Also I find you notice a difference if the pinion is slightly misaligned so I'd dry fit the spool shaft while tightening the rotor nut to keep it aligned.

Switching worm bushing for bearing is a cheap and worthwhile upgrade, but is unrelated to the problem you describe. The spool will always move up and down a bit, but that's because of the loose tolerance between size of grooves in worm shaft and the size of the oscillating pawl. That's unrelated to rotor movement and doesn't cause any operating issues.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Thanks all. First thing I checked was the rotor nut. It's tight. Deciding whether to return for another or open it up.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Paul Roberts on February 22, 2022, 12:25:18 AM
Thanks all. First thing I checked was the rotor nut. It's tight. Deciding whether to return for another or open it up.
Dumb question did you remove the screw that holds the rotor nut in place before checking tightness?
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Paul Roberts

Quote from: JasonGotaProblem on February 22, 2022, 12:35:57 PM
Dumb question did you remove the screw that holds the rotor nut in place before checking tightness?
Actually, just the right starting question... No I hadn't! Doh!! ::) Freeing the nut allowed me to tighten it just a bit, which helped, bringing this 2600 on par with the other SS reels I have. Thanks, Jason.

I also enveloped the little nylon worm shaft bushing in teflon tape, which took up that tiny bit of slop, for what it's worth.