Daiwa 8600

Started by The Fishing Hobby, December 22, 2017, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I've never been a Daiwa fan but I happened to run across this ad in an old Field & Stream.  Reminds me of a D.A.M. Quick or an early Penn spinner on steroids.  :o Not much information available on the net on this series of Daiwas.

The Fishing Hobby

Yep, on steroids is right! They are really impressive if you are ever able to get your hands on one. I like the old C series Daiwa reels and these blow them out of the water. They are heavier built than the DAM quicks. The Penns remind me a lot of the old USA made Shakespeare worm drives and are great but these are even more ruggedly built than those. Very impressive reels

festus

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 22, 2018, 12:13:18 AM
Yep, on steroids is right! They are really impressive if you are ever able to get your hands on one. I like the old C series Daiwa reels and these blow them out of the water. They are heavier built than the DAM quicks. The Penns remind me a lot of the old USA made Shakespeare worm drives and are great but these are even more ruggedly built than those. Very impressive reels
I saw several of your youtube videos and they had a big part of getting me re-interested in the old Shakespeare worm drive spinners.  I was a teenager when those reels first appeared in the 1960s. 

It'll probably take some time to find one of those Daiwas, nothing online right now for sale to speak of but I saw in the archives one went for well over a hundred bucks a while back.

The Fishing Hobby

Wow! I think I paid $20something for that one on eBay a while back. I also picked up the 8100 ultralight as well. I use my Shakespeare 2052 quite a bit. It is so silky smooth and just a real pleasure to fish with.

festus

Maybe I was wrong, there is an 8600 out there for $120.  also a 8100 as a parts reel in a group of four old spinning reels.

The Fishing Hobby

There is a slightly larger reel too. I think it is an 8700 if I remember right. There is also an 8300. The 8300 is next on my wish list!

festus

Hmm. I keep looking and there are more than I thought on ebay..... :o  But I'm looking for two other reels  in particular first to complete collections then may pursue the Daiwas.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 22, 2018, 12:13:18 AM
Yup. The only reels from that time period that I have personally held in my hand that I find more impressive is the DAM "01" series. And you could still argue in favor of the Daiwa by virtue of the fact the 8600 main gear is supported on both sides by quality ball bearings. The reel could be classified as a much improved Penn 704. And we all know that reel has withstood the test of time.
I own 2 8600's. One with a box in good condition. The other had been subjected to salt and not cleaned. Outside looked very rough. BUT the inside was packed with grease and in excellent shape. I cleaned and painted the outside. Cleaned and lubed the internals with synthetic lube. And when I am able (house bound after surgery now) it is going catfishing! Going to try it with the original Teflon drags, then install carbonex drags to see how they perform compared to the Teflon. Note on these Teflon washers. They are definitely heavy duty washers.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 22, 2018, 01:04:30 AM
There is a slightly larger reel too. I think it is an 8700 if I remember right. There is also an 8300. The 8300 is next on my wish list!
I have not seen the 8700. Or found any information on this reel. You have any sources for information on this reel?
BTW, definitely want to add an 8300 and 8100. Passed on a couple I probably should have jumped on.

Midway Tommy

The 8700, and the 81, 83 & 8600s, were introduced in '69. The 8700 is 19oz, 8600 17oz, 8300 11oz & 8100 9oz. In '73 they modified a few things, mainly the handle, and added "A" after the numbers. In '79 they reduced quality, added "50HRL" and an 82 & 8450HRL, and moved manufacture to Korea. 

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Thanks Tommy. My 8600A has a cheaper made handle than the 8600. Not cheap but not as good as the original. Same ol story. Bean counters making the decisions. Why not keep quality up and offer a cheaper version as an option?

The Fishing Hobby

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 22, 2018, 06:45:55 PM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on May 22, 2018, 04:45:24 PM
Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on May 22, 2018, 04:24:24 PM
I have seen them online but I don't own one: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Daiwa-8700-3-Ball-Bearings-Fishing-Reel-/162896264662?_ul=AR&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1#vi__app-cvip-panel
Cool! Not listed on this page. If you don't mind, look though this and see if you find any other reels missing.
http://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/daiwa-reel-schematics/daiwa-spinning-schematics/#gsc.tab=0
I don't see the D1000 listed on that page. Very similar reel to the 1000X
Thanks once again. BTW, do you have any of the Daiwa 7000 series?