Daiwa 8600

Started by The Fishing Hobby, December 22, 2017, 07:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Nice work, festus.  Impressive reel.  I noticed on one of the old ads that Daiwa had a lifetime warranty on the 8600 (maybe others too) & I wonder what hassles might result to enforce that warranty today.

Frank

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: happyhooker on May 10, 2019, 02:13:32 AM
Nice work, festus.  Impressive reel.  I noticed on one of the old ads that Daiwa had a lifetime warranty on the 8600 (maybe others too) & I wonder what hassles might result to enforce that warranty today.

Frank
Haha! I don't know...mine is still working as it should  ;D

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Silvers

Quote from: happyhooker on May 10, 2019, 02:13:32 AM

Frank

Correct..here is a picture of it, its for all of the 8000s not only 8600 ;)

Realfunone

Ha I still have mine from 72? I bought it with blue chip stamps. It's in good condition. It brings back memories of bonito fishing from the jetty in Redondo.

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Realfunone on November 08, 2019, 04:00:22 AM
Ha I still have mine from 72? I bought it with blue chip stamps. It's in good condition. It brings back memories of bonito fishing from the jetty in Redondo.
Dust it off, clean it up and put some line on it...take it out for old times sake every once in a while! Well built reels, no doubt about it 👍

mo65

I have been lurking for a good deal on one of these 8000 series reels for what seems like ages. In the meantime, I have discovered some equally impressive old reels for much less. It makes you wonder...take two equally impressive reels...why does one reel become rock star famous while the other becomes obscure?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on November 08, 2019, 02:06:52 PM
   I have been lurking for a good deal on one of these 8000 series reels for what seems like ages. In the meantime, I have discovered some equally impressive old reels for much less. It makes you wonder...take two equally impressive reels...why does one reel become rock star famous while the other becomes obscure?

Maybe because "Rock Star Famous" is for the general angling public --

Because we do this all of the time, we might tend to forget...the things you guys (on our Alan Tani Site) know about what makes reels tick -- involve more than just looks and function...

Most of the folks who are regular readers and contributors on our site -- likely know 10 times more about 100 various reels -- from the engineering, quality of materials, to being able to break them down for repair & service quickly and effectively.

YOU are the experts that folks respect and listen to...

You are "Reel Ninjas"!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Fishing Hobby

The 8000 series Daiwa reels used to go for peanuts. I noticed about 6 months after I uploaded that initial video I did about the 8600 the prices had gone way up on feebay. Could be coincidence, but I've noticed when reels get talked about a little online, the prices go up soon after.

festus

Lately they're asking 90 bucks or more for these reels.  l was lucky to get a couple of rough looking ones that work very well for under $10 each.

The Fishing Hobby

Those were reel ( :D ) bargains!

Midway Tommy

Most average fisher people have no clue what's inside a spinning reel, or any concept about where quality lies until someone with a little knowledge points it out. I've been messing with spinners my entire life and never felt the urge to check into some of those higher quality '60s/'70s Japanese made reels. Never had a clue that the South Bend Gladding 900 series' had decent quality worm gear design until you gents opened one up. Learn something new everyday, as the saying goes. I figured all Asian made SBs were junk like the 725A I inherited back in about 1970.   :D 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 08, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
Never had a clue that the South Bend Gladding 900 series' had decent quality worm gear design until you gents opened one up. Learn something new everyday, as the saying goes.

I hear ya brother! That's pretty much what happened to me on these 8000 series Daiwas. I must have been tinkering with one of my other frankenheros when Kevin posted this video. By the time I got hip to the situation...prices had tripled! But hey...watcha gonna do? If we didn't talk about these reels and share knowledge, collecting wouldn't be near as interesting. I'll eventually nab one. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

There was a Daiwa 8600 in a group of parts reels a few days ago that could've been had, but I didn't see anything else worthwhile except the Zebco.  $7.50 plus $12.95 shipping.

Midway Tommy

They say those gold 6000 series Zebcos are supposed to be a fairly decent reel. I don't know, though, as I've never had one in my hand. They're basically the same reel as the blueish gray Zebco Sterlings, just a different color. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE