Strangest Place You've Found a Spring

Started by grekim, December 22, 2017, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grekim

I got a 66 in today.  I carefully eased the bridge out and there's no dog spring.  I look around the bench, in the folds of my shirt...no spring.  After I pull everything apart, I was about to degunk the inside of the handle side bearing and something metallic caught my eye.  It's the dog spring, of course, and it must have been there for awhile because it was overly compressed.  I imagine someone thought it belonged in there, because I can't think of an easy way for it to get there with a spool in place.   Not sure if it is salvagable.  Any stories?
Educating fish on every trip

foakes

I used to suspect that they all went into lower Earth orbit...

However...

Generally find mine in one of the grease tubs -- or stuck on a brush.

That is why it is good to have plenty of spares -- sooner or later, 80% will surface -- but in the meantime I don't waste my time or slow down the line looking for a stupid little part that is difficult to see when I am looking right at it.

Eliminate the frustration by trying to be prepared.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I found one stuck to the hair on my arm when I went to wash off.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Still looking for all of mine, I post the story if I ever find them. (buy a newell no flying springs! HAHA)
Do what you can with that you have where you are

akfish

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Cor

Up in a ceiling light shade!

This is actually a long story but we leave it here. ;D
Cornelis

Zimbass

On the leg of my one Jack Russell ???
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

sdlehr

I once lost a spring upstairs that showed up on the kitchen floor downstairs a few days later. No idea how it traversed the distance.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

I crawled around on the floor once looking everywhere...only to find it in my
beard!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

yes spings travel on & in anything, finnish up anywhere, most times they turn up eventual, frustrating ay, need spairs allright, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

always in the last place i look......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Quote from: alantani on December 23, 2017, 08:01:27 PM
always in the last place i look......   :-\

And it always is, isn't it amazing we know that as a fact and yet we always check that place last? ::)

Dominick

I think we have stumbled upon a new enigma.  It goes like this: "If you look for an object and find it in the first place, did you find it in the first place you looked or in the last place you looked?"  Hmmm ponder that for a while.   :-*  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Wally15

Quote from: Dominick on December 25, 2017, 12:14:24 PM
I think we have stumbled upon a new enigma.  It goes like this: "If you look for an object and find it in the first place, did you find it in the first place you looked or in the last place you looked?"  Hmmm ponder that for a while.   :-*  Dominick
Never ponder the imponderables! As an ex-girlfriend once told me, "on the surface you're a really deep guy. But deep down inside, you're really very shallow".
Christmas Day wisdom!
Ga Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor