If you are interested in possibly fishing with vintage spinning reels

Started by The Fishing Hobby, December 24, 2017, 07:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

You may want to check out this video I did. I'm not an expert in reel collecting but I do use a lot of vintage spinning reels. I decided to do a video to break down the differences between modern and vintage spinning reels and some things you may want to consider. I just use 3 examples but I own many more of the older reels and have fished them all. I do have some favorites and the 3 examples in the video are among those favorites.
I thought a discussion about it here may be a good thing for people to reference in the future. I know some of y'all know a lot about the history behind a lot of these older reels too which is always interesting!

Zimbass

Well done Sir !!

Could not believe I would spend over half an hour watching and listening, especially as I am not a spinning reel aficionado !!

Thank you for making it so interesting.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Captain64-200

Thank you for taking the time , good video  ,clear and simple . I often fish with old spinning gear , mitchell , pezon & Michel ,Crack .... and I love it .  :)
Fred from Biarritz ,

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks for the feedback guys, it is really appreciated! I would like to get my hands on a Crack and Lixor Pezon 😀
They look like nice ones

mo65

Great video! One of these days the rest of the world is going to rediscover the Shaky 2052. Maybe then they'll stop driving Penn 420ss prices into the stratosphere. I'm dying to fish this mint 2052 I picked up not long ago. 
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: mo65 on December 24, 2017, 04:12:54 PM
   Great video! One of these days the rest of the world is going to rediscover the Shaky 2052. Maybe then they'll stop driving Penn 420ss prices into the stratosphere. I'm dying to fish this mint 2052 I picked up not long ago. 
I love those! The polished reel in the video is a 2052. The paint was terrible so I just polished the whole thing up and replaced the leather drag washers with some carbontex washers I made for it.
The handle looks brass but it isn't, it was gold anodized under the black paint. I really like the way it looks polished up. Beautiful shape, not too heavy and very...VERY smooth operation!
I have two videos on these that may be helpful:

There was supposed to be a 3rd video but I lost my footage for it somewhere...I may have enough footage to piece something together but it was just basically polishing and making the drag washers and making the Anti-reverse super quiet. I used heat shrink tubing over the
A/R dog and lighter spring tension to make it very quiet. You can hear how quiet it is in the video in the original post. I took it apart this month and looked at the heat shrink tubing on the dog and it hasn't worn out a bit. I'm sure the lighter spring tension helps with that.

The Fishing Hobby

One other note, I had set it up for bailless fishing and rebalanced the rotor but didn't like it so I removed the counter weight I had added and reinstalled the bail.

The Fishing Hobby

And here is another reel that is overlooked!
This is actually a really nice reel, smooth and well built!
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23767.0

festus

I'm going to make sure some of my friends who make fun of me for continuing to use vintage Mitchells, D.A.M. Quicks, Pfluegers, and South Bends watch this video. 

Never owned a Cardinal, now I see their advantages.  And I've been on the lookout for one of those little Shakespeare 2052 ULs for some time.  Still see old vintage ads for the Wonderreels.

And l agree, buying  brand new reels as mechanically sound as these old dinosaurs would cost over $250.

Great video.

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks! It is harder to kill these old ones. The worm drives especially. The 2052 is a gem and a great bargain. I see them regularly see them sell for $25 or so in really great shape on eBay. A good cleaning and relube will put them back in business. The 2062 is equally as nice but a bigger sized reel. I have had a few of those too. I have one I am keeping 😀
It is a medium sized reel. I wish the 2052 had an aluminum spool like the 2062.
Here is a video I did on the 2062 if anyone wants to see a review on them: