Need new inshore and offshore spinning reels

Started by zward, March 07, 2012, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

Looking to re-outfit our boat with some new spinning tackle. I haven't taken apart many spinning reels so was hoping some of you guys could help me out. We have some older penn 650ss (with the dog and spring anti-reverse, not the infinite roller bearing) and they have held up fantastic, but I'm not sure about the current line of ss reels (have heard they are not what they used to be). Also looking at a little higher end this time around (thinking $2-300 range). Basically looking at the following for a couple 20lb outfits and a couple 50lb outfits (lighter outfits for inshore and snapper offshore, heavier for king mackeral, amberjack, doplhin, tuna etc.) In minnesota right now so its difficult to check them out in person.

-Shimano Saragosa
-Daiwa Saltist

Was hoping those of you who have experience using these and taking them apart could offer up some opinions. Open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for the help,
Zane

Jimmer

Zane - might try to contact Jim Nomura (JGB on here), I remember him posting awhile back that he had a couple spinners - cedros 65 or 80's? that he would part with cheap. Don't know if they are still available. - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

paal

Bryan Young

Hi Zane,

Whichever the reel you choose, I would recommend ones with metal frames, esp. fo rhte 50# outfit.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JGB

X2 on the metal rotor and arms.  The Cedros reels went a long time ago. If you go Okuma and want the larger sized reels consider the V series. they are all metal but will need carbon fiber drag upgrades. Their newer models sport carbon fiber dual force drags but for now are only available in the medium and smaller capacities.

I recommend line retrieve rates no higher than 32" and better around 28". Any higher and the you will get beat up on a big fish.

Jim N.

basto

Shimano`s Saragosa 14000f has an easy to service drag. It is said to have a 20kg max.  The black washers look to be greased carbon of some sort.

The carbon washers look to be of a courser, more open weave than the carbontex washers in some of my other reels.
Sorry, I haven`t taken the reel apart any further than the drag.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

zward

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! Thats a very informative site paal, some good reads. I actually have a Cedros 65 high speed, got it mainly for kingfish where they make a big first run than come straight back towards you just as fast, the high speeds are nice for that, but I could see where it'd be a little much on big AJ's and such. I'm not completely sold on the Okuma's though as I've heard some mixed reports on the spinning gear(not sure if they're legit or not..) and haven't put mine through its paces. Problem is most forums and fishing sites that have threads about this are nothing but a shimano guy saying the sargosa is best, or a daiwa guy saying the saltist is untouchable etc etc

I'm pretty much down to the saltist and saragosa.. Probably just have to wait till I can get my hands on some.. Wish I could swing a couple of the new Saltiga spinning reels holy crap do they look nice :o Actually I was kind wondering if the Saltist is to the Saltiga as the Saragosa is to the Stella. Been trying to research that but am not finding a bunch of good info on the Saltist.

Thanks again!
Zane