spinning reel review

Started by alantani, July 01, 2011, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day Sal,
I've just finished adding your spring and pin upgrade to my double-dog 8500 and 9500, and have a question.
The pin performs the same function as the redundant dog in my 9500 upgrade (shown below), ie it limits the sweep of the silent dog, so it can't be thrown off the ratchet gear.

With the addition of the spring, does this not become redundant?
The silent dog can't sweep back off the ratchet, as the spring keeps it in constant contact.
Is it essentially a fail-safe or am I missing something here?
Thanks mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Justin, can you show how you installed the spring? On my 9500SS I'm abe to engage one silent dog or both a the same time, but I'm also able to disengage them. I'm probably not following you, the silent dog tabs should always ride the ratchet, if they slip off you will need a new silent dog.
The lower silent dog will have constant contact when engaged, you will hear the clicking sound when on. I've tryed it without the spring and it wasn't working for me, the silent dog didn't alwaye engage.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Hey Sal, so, Penn 750SS on up has 2 dogs.  One is silent and the other is spring loaded.  I don't see the purpose of using another silent dog.  Is it just so that the reel is no longer noisy?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Thanks Sal.
Despite having done the wire and spring upgrade on two reels, I still can't figure the wire's purpose (given the arc of the lower silent dog is constrained by the spring).
Cheers, Justin

Alto Mare

Sorry Justin, I misread you message. I thought you were talking about this wire:

No spring under the silent dog, I installed it on mine because it wasn't engaging all the time. I did find the problem, the silent dogs that I had weren't perfect, I purchased a dozen from eBay at a very good price...I wonder why :-\ , some had a tiny split on the tabs and some were bent. I now have a couple of dozen from Scotts and everything is nice.
This is a good upgade, you could use the top dog alone, the bottom alone or both at the same time. By the way, how did you make out with the SS ratchet? We should get Lee to make us some SS dogs for the 9500SS, along with your SS ratchet..... that would be a killer reel :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 04, 2012, 04:51:03 AM
Hey Sal, so, Penn 750SS on up has 2 dogs.  One is silent and the other is spring loaded.  I don't see the purpose of using another silent dog.  Is it just so that the reel is no longer noisy?
Yes, it will also give you the option to use just the top dog, just the bottom or both at the same time. Can't do this with a out of the box reel.

Bryan Young

Oh, I see, it's about the options.  I would still rather have both dogs always because you just never know what you're gonna hook up with.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Thanks Sal - just as I suspected.
The ratchet was delayed (a small job for a large engineering firm), but is due to arrive by courier today.
If all goes well with the design, I'll get a few dozen made and send you a couple for further testing.
Cheers mate, Justin