What's the largest fish you've heard of caught on a Mitchell 300?

Started by festus, December 27, 2017, 01:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I haven't been able to get this Christmas gift to a friend, he's working south of the border temporarily and only came back to the states for a couple days for the holidays.

He's never owned a Mitchell, he's in his early 40s and uses mostly WalMart gear.  I asked him what pound test he preferred and he said 8 lb mono.  So I loaded it up with Stren.  Then I decided to throw in a spare spool loaded with 12 lb Trilene and this medium action Ugly Stik.

He has caught a few catfish in the 30 lb range and he says they have torn up his Zebco Hawg Seekers and Shakespeare Tiger combos.

l've yet to have a fish strip gears from any of my Mitchells but have had my line busted by some unexpected stripers and some big unknown species while fishing for crappie and white bass.

Tiddlerbasher

Back in the day I only used to use Mitchell 300. Back then it was carp and pike fishing. Biggest carp 28.5lbs biggest pike 19.5lbs. Never did better those milstones :(

Bryan Young

Didn't have a Mitchell 204, but my step-father had a 304, and his largest that I had seen delicious Papio.  Don't know the size but it was yummy.

http://www.wou.edu/~haoki08/hidexweb/ulua.html
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

richard

Dick Walkers 44lb record Carp around 1950. Named Clarissa and transported to London Zoo aquarium.

akfish

I caught a 31# channel cat on a Mitchell 308 and 4# line. Took over an hour but the reel was in good shape after the fight.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: richard on December 27, 2017, 02:41:11 PM
Dick Walkers 44lb record Carp around 1950. Named Clarissa and transported to London Zoo aquarium.

I used to be a junior member of the Zoological Society back then (1965). Although against the rules I was allowed to go 'backstage' and feed the fish - including Clarissa (at the time in September 1952 it was though to be a rod caught World Record fish). Fish the size of Clarissa were dream material back then. Dick Walker was the best known angler in those days. Not only course fishing but fly/game fishing as well.

festus

Quote from: akfish on December 27, 2017, 03:12:04 PM
I caught a 31# channel cat on a Mitchell 308 and 4# line. Took over an hour but the reel was in good shape after the fight.
Actually I prefer the 308 over the 300.  Can't forget the first time I hooked a freshwater striped bass.  Was using a Mitchell 308 with either 6 or 8 lb mono.

Thanks for the responses.  Actually I haven't used the Mitchell 300 series that much.  Still have the first one I bought brand new in 1977 but lucked out and found several used ones for 3 bucks apiece last summer.  Always preferred the D.A.M. Quick 220.

Most of the old pictures of freshwater fishing articles in outdoor magazines show the anglers using the Mitchell 300 for a wide variety of species from bass to pike to trout, walleye, etc.

happyhooker

I wouldn't want to get into any debate about which spinning reel is/was the strongest, or best built, or easiest to use, or most durable , or....

But, using a 300, for me, is a real treat; not only a prominent piece of history, but just reeling one in, the buzz of the antireverse, the feel of quality--a real treat.

Frank

theswimmer

I caught about an 11 lb shad on the Sac in 76 or 77.
My Dad got spooled on the same day on the same rig by a fish we never saw.
It was like he hooked a passing barge....
On a stock 300.
Grandpa had about a 1000 feet of river frontage just north of the Hamilton City bridge.
Hard to beat that for opportunity.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Midway Tommy

I could never get used to the backwards rotation on a 300 so I avoided them at all costs.  ::) I did, though, catch a large number of 8 to 12lb catfish on my original 304, and it was plenty of reel back in those days.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Used to use the backward rotation(anti-reverse off) as sort of drag, with my forefinger applying the pressure under that cup-rotor. Worked really well, and I just didn't trust the stock drag.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

richard

My best was a 32 lb Pike. There was enough resistance through the gears that they did not overun(this was before baitrunners)Also as already mentioned a finger behind the rotor was a good drag that avoided the line twist associated with fish taking line off a spinning spool.Best line lay for the time.A classic like the ABU Cardinals IMO.

wfjord

Back in the '60s when I was in school THE reel everybody had to have for local river stripers was a Mitchell 300.  It was my very first spinning reel back then, too, for that very reason. Every year or so during the spring striper run there was some kid in my school who'd manage to land a striper in the 30 to 40+ range using Mitchells with heavy line and live or cut bait.

bushleague

Quote from: festus on December 27, 2017, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: akfish on December 27, 2017, 03:12:04 PM
Actually I prefer the 308 over the 300.  Can't forget the first time I hooked a freshwater striped bass.  Was using a Mitchell 308 with either 6 or 8 lb mono.

Thanks for the responses.  Actually I haven't used the Mitchell 300 series that much.  Still have the first one I bought brand new in 1977 but lucked out and found several used ones for 3 bucks apiece last summer.  Always preferred the D.A.M. Quick 220.

Most of the old pictures of freshwater fishing articles in outdoor magazines show the anglers using the Mitchell 300 for a wide variety of species from bass to pike to trout, walleye, etc.

I use the 300's for most of my fishing, mainly pike and walleye, but also trout. Have caught quite a few pike in the 40" range on them. They are a reel that performs far better than they spec, I prefer them to the 308 myself.