Custom Newell

Started by Swami805, December 27, 2017, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I saw Ted's maxed out parts and a little light popped off in my head. Usually not a. Good thing. Anyway started tinkering around which turned into a quest then into a mission. Thanks to everyone here here for parts and inspiration.  Lou's knob really set it off. Hope the pictures are ok
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

Nice. The side plate looks just like an orange. It even has the dimples like the actual skin. You need to put some orange flavored essential oil on it and it would be quite a conversation piece.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Those are orange Newell sideplates not painted. Don't see those everyday

thorhammer

cwillis85

I have seen that color scheme before, just can't remember where.   ;D

Love it
Chris

vilters

great looking reel Sheridan. lou's knob on the p/c arm looking good. wish ted would have more of his bars and bases for 4/0 available  ???....

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Sheridan. The knob seems to match all the oranges! I like the star too. I have a template for that one and a lager version also.

The orange plates,  ...  where did you ever find those? I heard there were a few sets made in lime green and a bunch in purple, but I've never seen any of them other than pictures.

Nice work,  ..  Lou

steelhead_killer

Orange is very cool!  Won't see anything like that around!  Beautiful reel!

Andy
><)))">

mhc

Good looking reel Sheridan. The countersunk stainless screws seem to fit well, did you need to modify the heads at all?

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Swami805

Thanks for the kind words. Truth be told Teds bar don't fit really well , the width is the same but it ends there, destroyed a few sets of newell rings and made it work. Had to modify the holes or make new ones,also the bars are wider than Newell bars that that was a different issue to deal with. File a little,test file test ya'll know the drill. It think Ted's base would fit well but he didn't have one so it's a newell base and I modified the clamp to fit.
The screws I got from ulua junkies and just bought a bunch to have around.
I'm thinking once Ted has standard bases ready they should fit with no modification since a newell 440 base fits a standard 4/o.
When I saw Ted's bar's in orange that little light went off, Been working on this for months,a part here a part there, the usual drill. Still need a few more tweaks to get better free spool and get it performing perfectly. Fish it once, then likely a shelf queen after that.
Thanks to everyone who goes to all the trouble to make these parts and the inspiration to do a project like this.
Special thanks to Lou for the knob, it really brought everything together.
Sheridan

David Hall

That is a special reel there, what a beauty.

Yogi_fish808

Beautiful orange 500 series Sheridan! That's a different parts combination than I've ever seen. Pop a p440 aluminum spool in there and Tom's metal clicker kit.

Swami805

I have the spool and clicker kit but I light to keep it light with the graphite,much better casting distance. Some 40lb mono and it's good to go. I have
Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on December 28, 2017, 03:27:25 AM
Beautiful orange 500 series Sheridan! That's a different parts combination than I've ever seen. Pop a p440 aluminum spool in there and Tom's metal clicker kit.
a few with Bryan's side plates for the heavy stuff.

Tightlines667

:o :o :o

That is awesome!

Sweet looking reel.

Would be a huge hit here in HI.

Good call on stocking up on some parts from Ulua Junkies while they were available.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.