Extra HT -100 Drag Washer on top of the Ultamate Drag upgrade?

Started by TongassFisher, April 02, 2018, 03:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

I have a Jigmaster 500 with Tib frame and Cortez plates. I'm running all the goodies, factory steel main AT sleeve stainless bridge, yoke, Jack, and Bryan's Drag upgrade.

Here is my question, has anyone tried Bryans Drag upgrade but then added a 209 HT-100 washer followed by a keyed washer then top everything off with the thicker washer from the Ultamate upgrade kit? It all seams to fit and I have the reel put back together. I still need to fit the spacing sleeve which is requiring me to shorten its length to accommodate the extra washers plus motive star and arm.

I feel like this is going to work but thought I'd just ask here on the forum. Anyone know possible usable drag numbers?

Side note, I believe the extra HT-100 disc and washer came from a 209 but I'm not 100% on that. It was loose in my extra parts bin so it could be from a different reel also? All I know is that it fits quite well and is much smaller that the 500 drag disc/washers.

Looking for a bit of feedback!

Thanks,

Trevor

Bryan Young

It will not take advantage of the Belleville spring washer. The extra washer will only act as spacers.  You may was well use the original Allen gets spacer and not add the washers and grind down the height of the spacer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mhc

You might be able to make it fit but it won't increase the drag. The last (top) washer on Bryan's kit should be a keyed washer - if you add another carbon and then another keyed washer it won't give you more drag. When you pull line against the drag the two keyed washers will remain stationary on the sleeve (and not cause any friction on the carbon between them) while the eared washers turn with the main gear and create friction on the carbon washers between the eared and keyed washers. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

PS: What Bryan said.  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

The final metal washer, that fits in the gear, should be eared. On top of that a cf washers then a keyed washer. Any more keyed washers won't improve drag - they haven't got anything to work against and a further eared washer can't lock to the gear. Metal washers must alternate keyed, eared, keyed etc. That is unless you use a hex or one of adams inserts :)

TongassFisher

gstours

You got some good straight answers, that's what makes this site so great👍  Using these "soft top washers" may be useful for spacers.  Were you trying to increase your drag capability?  You can go to the insert type or eared gear/all keyed washer gear drag.  You need more working drag surface to get more drag.
   Hope this helps and glad you're tinkering for improvement.🎣