Okuma TCS rod ... unbreakable?

Started by steelfish, December 29, 2017, 06:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

take a look at this video of a breaking test to a new okuma TCS rod, they dont call it unbreakable but seems to be.

disclaimer: I had to download the video from the oficial okuma new zealand facebook page and  upload it to my personal youtube channel in order to post it here, FB dont allow to post videos on forums like youtube does.

according to the details on the oficial okuma page the rod is using the same technology than SCT and PCH rods
"The new Tournament Concept Series (TCS) Rods are built with Unidirectional Fibre Reinforcement (UFR) making them nearly indestructible. Our team put them to the test before they were released this year."
-Extremely light weight and responsive 24-ton carbon rod blanks
-UFR-II: Unidirectional Fiber Reinforced rod tip technology
- 3K-woven carbon outer blank wrap improves hoop strength

I was searching for light rods with strong tip to fish big Cabrillas with light gear and found this rods, amazing !
that is a freshwater rod marketed for largemouth Bass tournaments but I think they can be use it for inshore fishing too, I was told SCT inshore rods are using the same technology and are intented for inshore fishing so, seems that I finally found my next rod  light enough to cast 1/2 lures and with tons of "hoop" to stop the bigazz Cabrilla Groupers

if you have a FB account and would like to see the video in HD click this link

https://www.facebook.com/Borntofishnz/videos/vb.237784823027417/937156556423570/?type=2&theater

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Compadre, I'm not going to call them what they should be called from the way they performed that test, so that's all I'm going to say ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

droppedit

This reminds me of a blank many years ago offered by Dale Clemmens called Appogee or maybe Allegro. It was a top of the line fly blank that had pictures of him putting about 3-4 opposing bends in the blank. Pretty expensive but short lived. I wonder what happened to that line, that and the unbreakable Hexagrah.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

SoCalAngler

I know nothing about those Okuma rods but blank sure does look a lot like the Ugly Stick blanks.

Rivverrat

I've yet to find a rod / blank that excelled in one area & was not lacking in another.  Rods with durabilty given as a point for sale are usually not fun to fish with for long. Xtreme Lite rods on the other hand can be the opposite not having good longevity.  

There are a few US blank makers that I believe have found a very usable middle ground. I dont know anything about this paticular Okuma rod. I would reccomend you look at the UC Challenger Platinum CP70HP.  There are pics here of me putting a load on it.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1141.15

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on December 29, 2017, 06:59:12 PM
take a look at this video of a breaking test to a new okuma TCS rod, they dont call it unbreakable but seems to be.

disclaimer: I had to download the video from the oficial okuma new zealand facebook page and  upload it to my personal youtube channel in order to post it here, FB dont allow to post videos on forums like youtube does.

according to the details on the oficial okuma page the rod is using the same technology than SCT and PCH rods
"The new Tournament Concept Series (TCS) Rods are built with Unidirectional Fibre Reinforcement (UFR) making them nearly indestructible. Our team put them to the test before they were released this year."
-Extremely light weight and responsive 24-ton carbon rod blanks
-UFR-II: Unidirectional Fiber Reinforced rod tip technology
- 3K-woven carbon outer blank wrap improves hoop strength

I was searching for light rods with strong tip to fish big Cabrillas with light gear and found this rods, amazing !
that is a freshwater rod marketed for largemouth Bass tournaments but I think they can be use it for inshore fishing too, I was told SCT inshore rods are using the same technology and are intented for inshore fishing so, seems that I finally found my next rod  light enough to cast 1/2 lures and with tons of "hoop" to stop the bigazz Cabrilla Groupers

if you have a FB account and would like to see the video in HD click this link

https://www.facebook.com/Borntofishnz/videos/vb.237784823027417/937156556423570/?type=2&theater

I love the SCT boat and inshore rods.  The are nice fast tipped rods with good backbone.  I hope to try out their PCH rods next year.

Quote from: droppedit on December 29, 2017, 11:26:53 PM
This reminds me of a blank many years ago offered by Dale Clemmens called Appogee or maybe Allegro. It was a top of the line fly blank that had pictures of him putting about 3-4 opposing bends in the blank. Pretty expensive but short lived. I wonder what happened to that line, that and the unbreakable Hexagrah.

Dave

I loved the Appogee ultralight rods.  They were strong but costly.  My ultralight rod was the best trout and papio rod in one.  it casts far and was strong and very fun to fish with all day long.  Unfortunately, my friend broke the rod and I haven't found anything close to it yet. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

An Ugly Stik is an "unbreakable rod"...... In my opinion, an Ugly Stik is worse than garbage. I wouldn't even accept one for free.

Whether or not it breaks is really irrelevant. You have to factor in what you are trying to do with the rod. How sensitive do you need it? How stiff? What type of reel, etc.

steelfish

wow, thanks for the interest on the topic and replies, I know many rods claim to be unbreakable but are limp like a noddle and 100% solid fiberglass so, how sensitive its outta the question, I have one light uglystick rod but are for my youngest kid or loaner when fishing from the pier.

this okuma rods are 100% graphite and the technology used "as far as I know" is their response to black diamond rods from Phenix lineup, I currently own a 700H black diamond from phenix made from "what looks" to be similar techonogy in graphite layers, so if these PCS and TCS and PCH rods from okuma are similars to those phenix then they will be very sensitive, ligth and with extremely durable on a fish fight.

as I said, I was looking for something lighter for cast far 1/2oz to 3/4oz lures, my musky rod and my phenix black diamond 700h are good for heavier lures from 1.5oz or bigger but anything ligher I have to use an inshore spinning rod I have, but Im not a spinning guy when fishing from a boat.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

OH Nooo,  Alex I was completely off on the blank I recommended I miss read your prior post. Like I said I know nothing of this Okuma rod. I do know if there is any company that can mass produce a quality product Okuma would be one of them.... Jeff

handi2

Shimano uses the cross wrap carbon technology on some of their rods too.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

boon

I've handled a few of these. The heavy jigging (mechanical jig that is) rod sells for a little over 100USD and is a fantastic rod for what it costs. The blanks are light and load up nicely. They are absurd value for money.

jurelometer

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 29, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Compadre, I'm not going to call them what they should be called from the way they performed that test, so that's all I'm going to say ;D
I hope that these guys don't test chainsaws  ;)

Alex:   I have a thread here somewhere where I rebuilt an Okuma Nomad salwater travel rod.    The reel seat was glued to a thick cardboard tube (full length of the reel seat ) which was glued to the blank.   The cardboard was wet and the reel seat practically fell off the rod.

The components are  top end,  the blank has a good action and after the rebuild has held up for about 40 days of fishing.  I even picked up a couple more  on a screaming deal, but I am going to rebuild the lower grip and reel seat before fishing them.  I wouldn't personally by another rod from Okuma unless they have changed their method of attaching the reel seat to the rod or planned to rebuild immediately.

I think we do a lot of similar fishing (lots of days in a panga),  so I suspect you might run into the same issue if they haven't improved the construction.

-J

Swami805

Alex I know you build some rods,why not give it a shot, seeker makes some great blanks for what your looking for. clb 700 or 800 series depending on length, Nice light glass tip with graphite in the butt for power. I use mine with 200& 300 calcuttas and they cast small baits/lure extremly well and a ton of power in the butt end in case you need it. Just A thought.
I think I have 30 some seekers, never broke one or had a client brake one(not on a fish any way)
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on January 03, 2018, 05:53:00 AM
Alex I know you build some rods,why not give it a shot, seeker makes some great blanks for what your looking for. clb 700 or 800 series depending on length, Nice light glass tip with graphite in the butt for power. I use mine with 200& 300 calcuttas and they cast small baits/lure extremly well and a ton of power in the butt end in case you need it. Just A thought.
I think I have 30 some seekers, never broke one or had a client brake one(not on a fish any way)

That sounds like nice blanks but are on the expensive side for me, by chance do you know if rainshadow blanks have something similar?
At first I was looking at the rainshadow RCLB70L blank and build me a rod, I still havent dropped that idea, tho
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I've built a few rainshawdows but just very light 10' 2 piece blanks I use for surf fishing and don't know a shop that carries them to go pull on them. The blanks I got were very high quailty and fish well and I can't speak to the heavier ones,these are for 6-10line and pretty soft. I think there for freshwater steelhead. Heard good things though, and more importantly nothing bad. Maybe someone here could chime in.
I suppose with rods built overseas they're guilty until proven innocent in my mind.
Back in the 60's I Think John Collins who made trulines had a ad of him picking up a pile of concrete blocks with a forklift and one of his blanks. Just because a blank won't break when you pull on it is pretty meaingless.
Do what you can with that you have where you are