Okuma TCS rod ... unbreakable?

Started by steelfish, December 29, 2017, 06:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

check out some of the videos Kilsong has posted about the blackhole rods. Pretty impressive.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

steelfish

well, I was almost buying that rainshadow blank RCLB70L when I found and saw the videos from blackhole rods, they look extremely thin and light and catch snappers and YT of good sizes and I wondered how they work for inshore groupers, but they are not casting light lures on those blackhole rods but using them on slow pitch jigs or to cast heavy 3-5oz sinkers, so seems that they need some weight to "charge" the tip and work properly on lures or to cast sinkers, I dont know if they can work for my intented use which is using them to cast light lures far from the boat just like you do when fishing largemouth Bass in freshwater.
Guys from SouthCal will understand what Im looking for, check the 5th video on the link
http://swbaseries.com/media/

searching I found those okuma rods and their line up of PCH and inshore SCT rods, Im not affiliated by anymeans to okuma so, Im not set on those rods or promoting them but they look good on the tests and are very wallet-friendly, the breaking test on my 1st post is similar to breaking test of the blackhole rods http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23066.0

if the blank on the okuma rods is as good as its promoted I really dont care on the guides or reelseat, I can fix them or change them later if need it, I dont think I can build a complete rod for less than $109 or $170 bucks  and with good quality accesories (preferable less than $150 cuz it wont see much action only from time to time), anyway, just wanted to share, Im not buying it right away, I still need a 300 lowprofile reel to got with it, I just sold my lexa300  ::)
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on January 03, 2018, 01:58:53 PM
Back in the 60's I Think John Collins who made trulines had a ad of him picking up a pile of concrete blocks with a forklift and one of his blanks. Just because a blank won't break when you pull on it is pretty meaingless.

somehow I dont recall havent read this answer from Sheridan (sorry amigo).
but although for some guys a blank that dont break when pulling hard on them is meaingless for real world fishing purposes that was actually what I was looking for at that time ;D
a light rod that is light, thin but not totally made outta glass fiber so it wont be a noodle rod (in action), I was and still after a light rod that could handle the destructible hands of a 7yo kid that pay no attention on how to treat a $200 phenix rod but at the same time I dont wanted a $30 dlls rod from wallyword.

those okuma rods made outta graphite with unilateral fibers, etc, etc, etc look nice, but still I havent gotten any, I heard really good things about those unbreakable ugly sticks, now things have changed a little bit and mostly looking for a blank with those specs to build it myselt for my two princess that want to join daddy for fishing, so,  light, thin and heavy duty for kids hands, doest that rod blank exist ? that dont cost that much
The Baja Guy

foakes

Okuma is a good firm, that has not succumbed to the lure of "buy and replace annually".

I use a couple of their 7' SST Kokanee rods for trolling.

Strong, flexible, sensitive, good backbone, excellent price point if you look around ($50 + or -)

I couple these with Penn "9's", leadcore, 20' mono leader, and just a Speedy Shiner — no flashers or cowbells.

Never had a failure with these rods.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-SST-Casting-Kokanee-Rod/45828989

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Fred, tell me about your boat what make & year ?... Jeff

foakes

Just a 15' Gregor, 25 HP Johnson, trailer, electric start.

Big enough and deep enough for 4 or 5 — perfect for 3.

Think it is about 30 years old, maybe a little more.  Bought it used around 10 years ago.

Mostly new accessories like gear and fish finder, electrical, etc..

Simple.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Quote from: foakes on January 17, 2019, 12:38:17 AM
Just a 15' Gregor, 25 HP Johnson, trailer, electric start.

... — perfect for 3.

Fred

Agreed Fred!

PERFECT for 3!!!

Plenty of room for you, Steve-Meister and me!!!!

And here is Steve, just a few months POST Surgery on his .... uh... 3rd knee!!!!

And Fred, your boat turns on a dime, when your roving photographer looses his hat to the water Gods when the wind kicks up!!!

Let's plan another High Sierra Camping trip for Summer 2019!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

steelfish

ok, ok, I know unbreakable rods are not equal to a good rod, but man!! I really enjoy checking this kind of videos of guys trying to break rods LOL

check this video of a cheapo brand Piscifun, sounds as a perfect blank for a kid and maybe for friends that dont take care of the gear specially if they like to highstick the rod to bring the fish

kind of a long video, but fun to watch, specially the final test

The Baja Guy

MarkT

I have an Okuma PCH 74xxxh that looks like a Phenix Hybrid 700x3h with the woven carbon fiber look to both of them.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

gstours

Thanks,  pretty well tested in the video and entertainment as well.   Could this be a promo rod for showing the masses and not the production run we can buy?
    Years ago sylvan gaboers campained a Suzuki motocross bike and became the world champion butt it only looked like the crap they were selling us.  Butt I'd still like to try this rod.🎣🚣‍♀️🧜‍♂️.

steelfish

Quote from: gstours on December 03, 2019, 05:00:23 PM
Thanks,  pretty well tested in the video and entertainment as well.   Could this be a promo rod for showing the masses and not the production run we can buy?

there is only one way to know my friend Gus.

I might order one after xmas, sounds like it would be fun to fish spotted bay bass (no bigger than 2# but they are angry 24/7) and triggerfish with this Bassrod.
The Baja Guy

gstours

Thanks,  I'm thinking 🤔 if I don't have to pay 💰 much this winter for snow plowing a little jig rod is planned.  I ,ve got some goodies for you and will send them eventually 🐈🚣‍♀️