Hex Clickers

Started by Swami805, December 30, 2017, 04:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

How long did penn use Hex clickers and did they only come on certain reels? Tried searching on here but couldn't find much. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

I've only seen them on Newell spools.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Leg successfully pulled. Thanks Byran
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

I have seen them on prewar Sea Gates, and my early 149.  I think they showed up ca. 1941/42ish on a few lower end models.  I don't think I've one on a post war reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHow long did penn use Hex clickers and did they only come on certain reels? Tried searching on here but couldn't find much. Thanks

I would say they were used mostly on the 1941 Sea Gate Model. In my opinion, that is where they actually belonged. I know they pop up on Long Beach's, and the Deep Sea narrow reels; but, I really feel that when you see a hex clicker on any reel other than a 1941 Sea Gate, it is an accident that it got put there.

Caranx

Bryan is right, I have a Newell Yellowfin Special spool that has the hex clicker on it.
That's the only one I have seen.

coastal_dan

I've had a couple Delmar's and 249's with them.  I'll see if I can find some photos...no longer own the reels.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Penn Chronology

QuoteI've had a couple Delmar's and 249's with them.  I'll see if I can find some photos...no longer own the reels.

Yes, that does not surprise me. They were spread around among the models.

1badf350

Here's one on an early 4/0
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

PacRat

Chris,
I think they're talking about the click-star on the spool shaft. I first saw these on Newells but I don't remember which ones. I'm curious about the purpose of the hex vs star. Possibly the hex has less resistance to letting line out? It definitely has it's own unique sound.

Mike

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Very nice reel - we have parallel collections!
I have been specifically looking for those 1941 reels with those hex clickers - they are important because they help document a specific point in time - Mid 1941 - when we can say" all these reels were made over the same time period".
Quite a few of these Hex clicker reels also came with those rose wood handles.
Here is the list of the Hex clicker reels I have found so far -
Seagate -  always with the wooden handle
LB 60 - I have not seen an LB65 with one - has anyone got one?
#85,
#285 wide - these are the earliest of the #286 style reels
#286 - these must have been introduced in that mid 1941 period - helps explain why they are not in the catalogues.
Surfmaster 200 - These are interesting because they have the same size tailplate as the s/master 150, but I have not seen one on a #150. has anybody got one?
Surfmaster 250
Senator 4/0 - as above
Penn #49 - I bought one off Mike C - a little bit special!!
Penn #149 - I picked one up from Ray's (superhook) collection
I don't have a 249 with a hex clicker - I am aware they exist - the hunt continues!!
So - that is 12 known hex clicker reels, and 2 possibles.
I also have #155's, #160's and #165's with rose wood handles - there is a possibility that there exists some with Hex clickers?

Cheers
Martin

PacRat

I just went back to the beginning of this thread and we are discussing apples vs oranges or click buttons vs click gears. I'm still interested in why the hex click gears. Maybe we need to separate this thread? I'll leave my original post up for clarification.

Mike

1badf350

Martin I see what you mean about the wood knobs. I have another 4/0 with hex clicker. Not as nice as the one I posted earlier but like you said it has a smooth counterweight handle with wood knob, unplated spool, and external drags. These are the only two 4/0 Senators I've ever seen with hex clicker.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
Those rose wood handles intrigue me too. They also act as a time marker - they only seem to have been used for a short time over that same mid 1941 time frame.
I have found them on the Long beaches, Delmars, #49's, #149's (both with hex clickers), the light casting reels as mentioned above, and all the Senators from the 4/0 up to, and including, the 12/0's.
What is especially interesting about the Senators is that all these Senators, like your 4/0's, are 2nd Gen reels - and all still have drilled spools, and that thicker brass plate used on the drag stars, and handle blades.
All good fun!!

Cheers
Martin

milne

Interesting...
I have a hex clicker on a Seagate,,
But I also have the Hex Clicker on a Long Beach LS, again, there packed away, from memory it may be the 60LS and again from memory, it has the rosewood type handle....

Col