Penn 210 - cut down

Started by mhc, December 31, 2017, 01:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

As a follow up to my cut down Penn Mag 10 I have started a similar project with the 10's big brother. I had hoped to be able to use a squidder spool so I could narrow it to 146 width but I can't see a way to make it work, the spool is the same diameter and the dimensions of the shaft ends are close, but not close enough to work.
The 210 spool is the same width as the 145 squidders, LB 66 etc, the frames / post length is approx 54 mm & the stock rings are each ~ 0.8 mm thick. this makes the distance between the inside of the side pates 55.6 mm (56 mm rounded). My modified 'rings' will need to be at least 2 mm thick to thread side plate screws into - this means the stand will need to be 52 mm or less wide (56 - (2 x 2)) The only way I could think of getting to that width without a custom stand was to build up a 30-49 with 5 mm spacers inside the 'rings'. I would have liked to use 3mm rings and 4 mm spacers but 4 mm stainless is pretty hard to find - I could have got an 8' x 4' sheet but thought that was a bit much.

I started with a template of the squidder side plate hole locations so I could use Pro Callenger 146 spacers (or maybe a tib or accurate 146 frame later).

Marked the spacers and ring plates out;

Then used the template to drill the frame holes in the spacers and 'rings'

Roughly shaped the outer edges with a thin cut-off wheel;

Tidied them up a bit on the bench grinder;

And used a squidder ring as a guide for the spacers;

A quick test fit;

Still a lot to do but it looks to be on track,

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, I'm getting tired just by looking at this. It's amazing to me on what you could accomplish by  just using simple tools.
Keep it up buddy! any one could hit a button on a machine, this is it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike, you are doing it again ;D Keep it rolling ;)

festus

Very interesting. I understand what's going on but it's above my imagination and capabilities.

Dominick

Quote from: festus on December 31, 2017, 05:47:22 PM
Very interesting. I understand what's going on but it's above my imagination and capabilities.

I'm with Festus.  I don't have the patience nor the intellect.  Great job Mike.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Thanks guys, these projects can be a bit of fun to design and build, but not so much during the hours of filing and sanding when you sometimes wish you had a machine that would do it for you. It's OK Sal, I'll get over it!  :D

Quote from: Dominick on December 31, 2017, 10:34:45 PM
I'm with Festus.  I don't have the patience nor the intellect.  Great job Mike.  Dominick

Haha - Thanks Dominick, but I suspect you have way too much intellect for this, and enough patience to wait for the professionals to build the reels you want.

Back to the project; Next step was to mark and drill additional holes in the side plates and rings to replace the screw holes that will be removed when the plates are cut down. The frame holes in the rings are countersunk through holes and the side plate holes are tapped with a 5-40 tap;

The new side plate holes are recessed for the screw heads using a 6 mm straight carbide burr

I needed to fill the holes in the side plates where the level wind mechanism was fitted, and add a bit to the opposite side of the plates to accommodate the squidder frame. With the mag 10 project I used a thick epoxy and pieces of bakelite to fill the holes. It seems to have worked well structurally but the dark grey epoxy was very obvious in the finished plates;
mag 10

This time I tried chopping up carbon fiber finely and mixing it with a clear epoxy resin, hoping to better match the black plates;

I used Blu Tack and a strip of baking sheet to make a dam for the epoxy mix on the inside of the tail plate. Blu Tack is normally fairly easy to remove, but I had cleaned the plates well with alcohol to help the epoxy adhere and the Blu Tack also stuck very well  ::)
The plates after the epoxy had cured;

And after rough shaping;

Then chain drilling and filling the inside space of the rings and spacers;

And another quick test fit;

And with the side plates;

To be continued....
Mike

STRIPER LOU

Looking great Mike! That's a lot of hand work!

When I started in the tooling business, we cut  many, many dies with a saw and were finish filed by hand. When I saw the first filing machine all I could think was OMG.
We were able to do the work with even more precision in half the time.

Boy has that all changed. There's a lot to be said about good hand work and a sharp mind to match. And of course, a ton of patience.

Keep at it and looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Regard's,  ..  Lou

Alto Mare

Mike, I would love to be in your shop and just watch you, as you create things :).
You just got another sticky, and no, I don't give them away easily.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

You must have the brain like the first guy to rub 2 sticks together to make fire. Can't wait to see the finished reel. Your skills with hand tools are amazing.
I pull a reel apart and if I get it back together right the first time I'm happy.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

George6308

Brownell's has black epoxy

Rothmar2

mhc

Thanks again guys, and thanks for the encouragement Lou.

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 01, 2018, 03:36:52 PM
Mike, I would love to be in your shop and just watch you, as you create things :).
You just got another sticky, and no, I don't give them away easily.
Good job!

Sal

Thanks Sal! I hope it lives up to expectations - I'm keen to get this one up and running with it's jigmaster gear set and 145 squidder sized spool. (Thanks again to Mo for his enthusiastic promotion of the 10 & 210 reels).

Quote from: George6308 on January 01, 2018, 05:46:48 PM
Brownell's has black eproxy

Thanks for the tip George - that's one source I didn't look into.

Hey Chris, I've still got a spare 210 here if you change your mind  ;) ;D

Mike

Rothmar2

Quote from: mhc on January 02, 2018, 11:09:16 AM

Hey Chris, I've still got a spare 210 here if you change your mind  ;) ;D

Mike

:D :D Thanks for the offer, but steady on Mike! I've barely started the 349, and still haven't finished the Jigmasters. Then there's the Squidder, the Silver Beach, the Daiwa, the......

mhc

I have made a bit more progress with the frame and side plates of this reel.
First I trimmed the spacers to length and cleaned up the new rings. To shape the inside diameter of the new rings I screwed the old 210 rings to the new and filed the inside to match - until the spool fit in the opening.
Once the spool fit inside the rings, I assembled the frame and side plates with bearings and checked for rubbing by marking the inside edge with a marking pen to see where the spool was touching;

then used a half round file and sanding drum to remove some material from the areas identified;

This process was repeated until the spool spun freely - well almost freely, it still touched slightly when the reel was held horizontal but was fine in a vertical position but I'll deal with that in the final fitting.

And shaped the side plates a bit more before applying more chopped carbon fiber and epoxy;

This time I took a couple of photos of the carbon before the epoxy was added;

Once the epoxy had cured for a day or so, the side plates and rings were screwed together and shaped a bit more;

The spacers and rings were sanded a bit more and assembled for yet another test fit;

and with the side plates;

The side plates will need another application of epoxy - there were a few fine bubbles in the original bakelite this time, plus a few in the new epoxy as well. The frame is pretty close to finished, just needs a bit more fine sanding and polishing.

Here's a couple of comparisons to show the size, with a stock 210

and with a 146 squidder;

It will be at least a week or two before I get a chance to finish this - thanks for your interest.

Mike

Alto Mare

You got some crazy skills Mike, look what you have created. If someone would have told me he was going build that reel using hand tools, I would have said impossible.
Your creations belong in a museum. I bet Tony would love to have those in his display cabinet at Penn with your documentation.

Beautiful job, I love it!

Sal