Ambassadeur 12 EF

Started by basto, January 02, 2018, 03:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
Can anyone tell me what the EF in this model number stands for?
I saw one for sale. Looks like my stock 12 except for the EF sticker on the head plate.
Advert says rare reel and asking price says very rare. Asking AU$728.26
Reel built 1984 (2 years younger than mine)
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

GulfOfBothnia

It could be a sticker that Japanese importer has put on the reel. I believe it stands for "Ebisu" + something... perhaps "Fishing"

festus

EF sure isn't listed in their terms  ???.

Glossary of Reel Terminologies

A = Small arbor spool, larger line capacity than the standard spool (for example 5000A)

AB = Anti-backlash, (for example 5600AB)

B = Small arbor spool, larger line capacity and a line out alarm (for example 5000B)

C = Reel has 2 ball bearings in the spool or around the spool axle depending on spool design

CI = Reel produced for Independent dealers

C3 = Reel has two ball bearings in the spool plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse (the 7000C3/7500C3 reels have two ball bearings at the ends of the spool axle plus a third ball bearing around the crank shaft)

C4 = Reel has two ball bearings in the spool, one ball bearing in the level wind plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse

C5 = The reel has two ball bearings in the spool, two ball bearings in the level wind plus a one-way roller bearing for the anti-reverse

CB = Self-centering â€" disengaging level wind (for example 4600CB) 1980’s

CS = C stands for ball bearings, the S is short for "Sports", as in "6500C Sports Rocket

CT = Non level wind model

D = Direct drive - Drag works only when your hand is off the handle grips. (For example 5000D)

DA = Direct drive with palming side plate

DL = Deluxe = Gold plated model

GR = Graphite construction

HCL = The H stands for High-speed, the CL for ball bearings and level wind, as in "Big Game 6500HCL"

HS = High speed reel

HSI = High Speed with Infini spool design

HSN = High speed narrow frame reel

IAR = Instant Anti Reverse (for example 2500CIAR)

IVCB = Infinitely Variable Centrifugal Brake

J-speed = the "J" stands for Japan, the J-speeds (8000/9000/10000) are high-speed saltwater reels made for the Japanese market.

L = Level wind (for example 6500CL, 9000CL; originally used for the 9000CL and 10000CL to indicate that those models had a level wind.

LC = Line counter reel

LD = Lever drag reel

LDN = Lever drag reel with narrow frame

SP = Sprint 6.3:1 gear ratio

ST = Striper model

W = Winch 3.8:1 gear ratio

basto

Thank you guys for your replies.
Basto

oc1

Basto, is that reel about the same size as a 5000?  It's rare so I've never seen one.
-steve

big red

EF means imported and sold by Japanese distributor Ebisu Fishing, I have seen a few with this EF decal I dont think it makes it rare.

Cheers Glenn

basto

Quote from: oc1 on April 07, 2018, 04:49:01 AM
Basto, is that reel about the same size as a 5000?  It's rare so I've never seen one.
-steve

Hi Steve
It is the same size as a 9000,but is a single speed reel. 4:1
It was made for 12lb mono for IGFA Game fishing in 12 lb class.

basto

Quote from: big red on April 07, 2018, 06:24:43 AM
EF means imported and sold by Japanese distributor Ebisu Fishing, I have seen a few with this EF decal I dont think it makes it rare.

Cheers Glenn

Thanks Glenn

basto

The side plates are all chromed brass and under the hood is nearly all stainless.
Greg

oc1

It's beautiful Greg.... and pricey too.  I should have looked here before asking:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7399.0
-steve