Need buffer recommendations

Started by 1badf350, January 05, 2018, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Oh nope mine was a Becks polisher.  Sorry

oc1

For me, the hand-held buffing pad on a Foredom flexible shaft is better than a stationary or bench buffer because you can see what you're doing.  With a bench buffer you have the side of the work-piece being buffed turned away from you so you cannot watch what is going on.  With a flexible shaft buffer you have the side of the work-piece you are buffing turned face up in your hand so you can maneuver into corners and watch the progress.
-steve

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 07, 2018, 12:30:11 AM
If you are just buffing stuff torque ain't important - so use a regular speed control. They aren't ideal on an induction motor - ie regular grinder - but they do the job. OR if the motor is way too fast use a small wheel 3 or 4". no need to spend mega bucks ;)

x2, harbor freight has some inexpensive ones,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: oc1 on January 06, 2018, 08:10:59 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on January 05, 2018, 08:05:05 PMjust added a speed control.
Isn't it a brushless motor Tiddler?  That must have been an expensive inverter or VFD thing.  If you use a little universal type motor with brushes it is cheap to add speed control, but you do not get much torque and it will bog down.  Then again, bogging down a buffer may not be a bad thing if you don't burn it up.
-steve

Steve I eventually did buy a VFD (variable frequency drive) off of fleabay - they are not that expensive any more :)
Instead of using fixed cabling I fitted a double mains socket on a flying lead. I can now plug in any mains induction motor and control its speed (usually slowing it down).
Using my 4" linishing machine is now a pleasure rather than the fight it used to be. Same for the drill press, grinder/buffer and other belt sanders. It really is one useful gadget well worth the money ;)

Benni3

Not recommended,,,,,, :D I use a dewalt car buffer,,, :o I think the polish is the main thing "nu finish scratch doctor" and "3m plastic polish" does the trick,,,,,,, ;D

Alto Mare

After using their power tools, I now only purchase hand tool and some other items, no power tools from Harbor Freight for me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

Chris, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that VFD?

I'm with you Sal.  Sometimes I buy from HF if I'm not sure the tool will be used enough to wear out it's inherently short life.  The stuff I use on a regular basis is either Dewalt or Makita.

-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on February 03, 2020, 09:51:38 PM

I'm with you Sal.  Sometimes I buy from HF if I'm not sure the tool will be used enough to wear out it's inherently short life.  The stuff I use on a regular basis is either Dewalt or Makita.

-steve
To their defense Steve, I do have a Grizzly wood lathe and it has been working great.
The best $200 I've ever spent.
So I guess some of the power tools they carry could be worth it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tiddlerbasher

-steve

Steve - it was the same/similar as one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AT1-2200X-AC220V-Single-phase-Variable-Frequency-Drive-Speed-Controller-2-2kW-/133273601862

The instructions are crap but I managed to work them out. There was a lot of button pressing ;) If you get stuck I do have a few pointers.
But the ultimate control is worth it IMO.
The link I posted is similar/same to what I purchased - they are all the same/similar PRC products.

Benni3

I'm with you Sal.  Sometimes I buy from HF if I'm not sure the tool will be used enough to wear out it's inherently short life.  The stuff I use on a regular basis is either Dewalt or Makita.

-steve
Yes,,,,,i got to have the right stuff to do the job,,,,, ;) the porter cable 7424xp $239 is a polisher orbital and makes a great electric sander to but if you get the 7346 model $119 from Lowe's it's the same thing but the brushes are no good,,,,, :o but I do like haroble fakes 4ft led shop lights $20 I got to wait for there to go back on sale,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 04, 2020, 01:19:14 AM
The link I posted is similar/same to what I purchased - they are all the same/similar PRC products.

Thank you.  I need single-phase 110 volt input and single-phase 110 volt output.  It seems that most of them are 220 volt.  The ones with single-phase 110 volt input have three-phase output.  All my tools are single phase.

I probably missing something fundamental.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Steve check with the supplier to see if it will still work with single phase. My one can be single or three phase it's just different connections on the output. I.E. I think most of VFD are intended for 3 phase work - but you can just utilise a single phase of the ouput. I think the main guideline here is if your motor is rated at 5amps you will need a drive capable of 10amps because you are only using 1 phase and a safety overhead is always a good thing.
This article is quite useful:
https://www.vfds.com/blog/vfd-buying-guide
This is one I purchased:

Neutral to W - Live to U - V unconnected.
I don't have any high powered motors - only 250w to 350w - so the 750w 1hp copes just fine. It didn't even get warm after a long session on the linisher at reduced speed:)
The accuracy of the indicated revs is dependant on the base setting (adjustable if a bit fiddly) for a 2 or 4 pole motor - 1400 or 2800. Having changed it a couple of times I now just leave it on whatever setting it was. It's fairly obvious if it should be 1000rpm or 2000rpm, if it's that important just do the mental math ;D

oc1