St Lucia

Started by biggiesmalls, January 06, 2018, 08:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Anybody been to St. Lucia before? Going in December 2018 and wanting to know if it's worth bringing a rod or not.

I've heard everything from the fishing is good to nonexistant. I'll be fishing from shore at the resort (hasn't been chosen yet), not offshore charter fishing or anything.

Thanks,
Drew

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

thorhammer

Drew, never, ever, ever go to the Carribean without a bonefish / snapper rod.  A couple of good pics is worth it even if you don't catch squat and you will be pissed off sitting in sand all day with nothing to cast.

Even if its a piece of squid on a jig head, something will eat it.

biggiesmalls

That's what I was thinking John. Probably just a medium light and a 2000-3000 reel with 10-12 lb line. I have no clue what it'll be like, and it doesn't help that I don't know where we'll be staying.

Dominick - that's actually exactly what I had searched earlier - funny coincidence! I had heard everything from there being some smaller reef fish, to there not being a lot of reef fish but some random fish that weren't desirable for food - like tarpon, jacks, and some big stingrays.

The big goal on the trip would be to find bonefish or pompano/palometa/permit. Realistically, I'm hoping for some snappers, barracudas, and grunts - maybe some other random reef fish.

Any recommendations for lures to bring? I'd imagine if I want bait I'd have to get it on the island...