Gear and Tackle Needed

Started by Bryan Young, January 06, 2018, 10:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on August 31, 2018, 06:42:41 AM
If there's any chance that you are going to take a shot at the local big bluefin, you probably want to be fishing a minimum of 100 lb. for the flat-falls and the heaviest gear that you have for the day-time kite.  The boat probably has kite rods with 150-200 lb. so check with them before you bring one of your own.

I was planning on a 80# for my heavy rig, now I have to bring a 130#.

As of now,
30#
40#
40#
60#
80#
130#

I might bring a 30# spinner.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I'm bringing:

30# - 50# braid
40# - 50# braid
50# - 65# braid
60# - 80# Braid
80# - 100# braid

Popper Rod 65# or 80# or both.

Im going to forgo my jigsitck this year and use spinners. 

I think Ron used my joystick with my Newell 533 last time. Should I bring it?

I know, I'll bring the jug stick with a narrowed Newell 400 series reel with Aluminum sideplates for anyone that wants to use it.  Maybe I should bring my second jig stick with my Newell 338 with aluminum sideplates for someone to borrow as well. Will anyone need a jigsitck to use?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: R46chevy on September 06, 2018, 08:01:40 PM
How many rod spots will we have?
I believe 8 spots. Plus upper deck for jig sticks. Center area are usually reserved for loaner rods and reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wally15

I'm planning on throwing more iron this year than on previous trips. I'm better at tossing iron with spinners. Would a Quantum Cabo 100 be too big? My Penn Battle 5000 was a tad small for some of the bigger YT's at Cedros. My baitcaster choices would be an Andros 5 and/or 12. Thinking my Curado 300DSV is much too small for what I hope to latch on to.
I do have an old Diawa AG9000B graphite spinner I could respool?
I'm not planning on flying any rods cross country, so I'm hoping to borrow a stick in any case.
As Johnny 5 would say, "need input".
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Porthos

Mike,

I used my Fin Nor LT100 to throw 160mm/90g Toro Tamer poppers last year--it was a good fit with the 300+ yds of 100lb shock leader & braid main. The LT100 and the Cabo 100 are close in size and weight.

I will be downgrading the shock leader to 80lbs, though, for this year...

Wai

Wally15

Quote from: Porthos on September 15, 2018, 12:34:20 PM
Mike,

I used my Fin Nor LT100 to throw 160mm/90g Toro Tamer poppers last year--it was a good fit with the 300+ yds of 100lb shock leader @ braid main. The LT100 and the Cabo 100 are close in size and weight.

I will be downgrading the shock leader to 80lbs, though, for this year...

Wai
Thanks, Wai. And if you don't think you'll want the Cabo 100, I'll spool it with 80 or 100lb braid and an 80# top shot and bring it along. I've had it over a year and never even put line on it.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Keta

Quote from: Wally15 on September 15, 2018, 11:58:38 AM
My Penn Battle 5000 was a tad small for some of the bigger YT's at Cedros.

I'm considering bringing my Battle 3000 for tossing iron, in the past the pelagic YT were not nearly as large as the Cedros ones and the rocks are much deeper.  The 3000 has worked on albacore up to 28# and should work for YT and smaller YFT.  If we get to Alejos Rocks I will not even try to use this reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

I can bring the same spinning rods, but that is all I have. I had my fill of iron on this last trip. I'm sticking to bait!

MarkT

The recent reports have YFT between 18 - 35# and YT that look to be up to 30#. A few Wahoo in the mix but not a lot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Porthos

Quote from: Wally15 on September 15, 2018, 12:55:57 PM

Thanks, Wai. And if you don't think you'll want the Cabo 100, I'll spool it with 80 or 100lb braid and an 80# top shot and bring it along. I've had it over a year and never even put line on it.
Mike

I think I'll pass on the Cabo...it's not in this year's budget. Thanks for the offer, though.

Oh, and l'll be bringing the Tsunami TSTBS-J 701XH as well as the Daiwa STJ70XHFS; can't fish both at the same time so one or the other will be available on the rack if you need to borrow one for your Cabo.

R46chevy

So what you are saying is bringing 6 sticks plus spinner, jig and kite right?

alantani

I'm going for six spots. Any extra long jig sticks will need to go up front.

R46chevy

http://www.balloonfisherking.com/

How about these? No more thinking about where your bait is...