Gear and Tackle Needed

Started by Bryan Young, January 06, 2018, 10:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

I got back yesterday from my Phenix rods 10 day on the Excel.  Trip and weather were good, fishing was scratchy except for Skipjack!  I understand that boats are reporting better counts now that the hurricane has passed through and we're further from the full moon. I think I had 7 YFT and 11 YT.  I only had one 20# YFT and 2 YT processed after giving away the other YT and releasing the small YFT.

I took 13 rigs but ended up with 14 after winning a Phenix Axis rod in the raffle. 30-40# for bait (YFT, YT, Wahoo) and 50# for Wahoo bombs/jigs/Raiders and 100# for dropper loop, trolling and heavy night time flat falls.  You don't need anything lighter than 30#... the YFT aren't finicky on the Ridge.  I had 25#, 2x30#, 5x40#, 4x50#, 60#, 100#. I dumped the 25# (Avet MXJ) and switched the reel out to a TranX 300 w/30# for Colt Snipers and of course caught Skipjack.  I mostly yoyo'd with 60# on an Avet HX Raptor. I did have 2 spinners and caught YFT and Skipjack on both. Standard poppers weren't too effective.  I did better with stick baits and a Heru Skipjack. Surface iron and yoyo were effective.  Skipping a surface iron worked well on the YFT. Bombs, bait and trolling all worked for Wahoo.  When in doubt fish bait for Wahoo! We only got 38 for the trip but none for me. We found some willing YT just below Mag Bay and up at Canoas. San Pablo was supposed to be hot for YT but wasn't all that hot.

I did have a striped marlin and sailfish on for a little while and the aerobatics were pretty exciting until they broke off.  I got sealioned twice and sharked 3 times.

We fished the Thetis bank,13 spot and San Pablo with the SoA until they had to head back from their 8 day.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill Karr

Important-Need Cameras!
The last couple of years, I tried to augment Alan's trip report with some additional photos. I like photos that show me the trips I miss and to help remember the trips I make. I was all signed for this trip and putting together (more) gear over a year ago when I got the Bosses illness. Tomorrow will be the last day of 7 weeks of therapy (torture) for the same cancer in the same place as Alan last year. Pretty freaky!
Anyway, Alan does a great trip report but does like a little time at the rail! I'd like to suggest that those of you who have a small camera bring it and try to add some photos to the trip report. I would nominate Peaches since he copied my camera, but every time he's on deck he's either hooked up or having a turkey sammich. I also sort of doubt that Wes can hold a camera in one hand and a drink in the other. Maybe?
I want to wish all of you a great trip. I know, since I can't go, the fishing will be great. Let's see some bragging pictures!
Bill
Bill

alantani

yeah, we may be in for a rough trip.  i saw a friend was headed out today.  not sure where he's going, but no one wants to get caught by sergio.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wally15

Quote from: Bill Karr on October 04, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
Important-Need Cameras!
Anyway, Alan does a great trip report but does like a little time at the rail! I'd like to suggest that those of you who have a small camera bring it and try to add some photos to the trip report. I would nominate Peaches since he copied my camera, but every time he's on deck he's either hooked up or having a turkey sammich. I also sort of doubt that Wes can hold a camera in one hand and a drink in the other. Maybe?
I want to wish all of you a great trip. I know, since I can't go, the fishing will be great. Let's see some bragging pictures!
Bill
You worry about getting healthy and I'll "focus" on getting some decent trip pics to add to Alan's report. I'm bringing both the Olympus and the GoPro. And hopefully Sergio won't be a factor. Sounds like I'm going to strike out once again on fishing the Rocks.
Peaches
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Bryan Young

Bill, just get healthy to fish another day.  Besides, this trip may be a cat and mouse game where the cat is a huge lion and we are the tiny mouse.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wally15

Slightly off topic, but this seems to be the SoA thread with the most interest/feedback right now.
I'm arriving Monday at 3:15 on flt AA 491. Anybody else arriving around then that wants to share a taxi or Uber?
Mike Pate
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

Anybody got an extra folding chair they're willing to let me use on the trip? Or is there a place at the marina that sells them?
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Jimmer

Hi Mike - I get in a little past noon, I'll see you at the hotel.     Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

I'm glad to see you are on this trip Jimmer.

I have my gear packed, and am only 3 rigs over my goal of 6.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I'd really struggle to only take 6.  I guess I'd go with 30 & 40 for bait, 50 for yoyo and bombs, 60 for yoyo, big bait and light dropper loop, 100 for trolling, big flat falls and dropper loop and a 50# jig stick for surface iron, poppers, bombs/raiders/seastrike 33's.   I like backups as your wahoo bait leaders get destroyed easily.  I had 3-4 wahoo bait rigs and would run out before we moved again even without hooking a 'hoo.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bill B

Good luck gentlemen, God Speed and Calm Seas....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

Steve stopped by yesterday and picked up 3 10 footers and reels for 30,40 and 50lb. Please hang some fish with them and add a few notches.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: Swami805 on October 08, 2018, 09:43:10 PM
Steve stopped by yesterday and picked up 3 10 footers and reels for 30,40 and 50lb. Please hang some fish with them and add a few notches.

Thank you Sheridan!!!

I heard you loaned out one of your reels with my side plate kits installed. Thank you because I failed to actually put one together to demo.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D