Main Menu

Tuna lures

Started by 2380mike, January 10, 2018, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2380mike

I enjoy trolling for tuna and tinkering with the lures. I have a friend with a machine shop so I thought to try and make some myself. The heads are made of stainless. Have enjoyed making them and even catching some fish on them. Thought I would share them with you on this site. I have had some difficulty finding the skirts for them lately. Here are a few photos.

Hardy Boy

Those look great ! have you tried making some with a concave "face" ? My buddy has made some and they also work well. Try this site for skirts, its in Canada but shipping for skirts should not be high plus you get 20 % exchange and they have a good selection.

http://www.supertackle.info/category/main/38/hoochies

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

STRIPER LOU

Those look great Mike! There's nothing better than catching on your own homemade stuff.

................Lou

2380mike

Thanks guys. Will try the lead on the skirts.  Yes, I have made some concave and jet heads.  They really take a lot more machine time. Since the owner is my friend I have to be watchful of that. Nice fish in your avatar.

Alto Mare

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 10, 2018, 08:01:03 PM
Those look great Mike! There's nothing better than catching on your own homemade stuff.

................Lou
Same here!... good job Mike!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Great lookin' work! I've dabbled in tackle making...mostly pouring plastic baits for bass fishing. My brother makes the only spinners we use for trout/walleye/panfish.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

akfish

I'm curious: Why do you refer treble hooks? I have always thought that single hooks hold better.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

2380mike

For tuna I like the double stainless Mustad hooks.

David Hall

Quote from: 2380mike on January 11, 2018, 12:25:58 AM

Me too.

gstours

Even though it looks like Facebook.........ugg"..........I have agree,  for hot fast swim fish.   Use double hooks. Butt for salmon, cod, halibut the siwash is good.  🤭

Tightlines667

Quote from: David Hall on January 11, 2018, 12:33:49 AM
Quote from: 2380mike on January 11, 2018, 12:25:58 AM

Me too.

I use these on all of my 5" and smaller trolling baits for Mahi and small tuna.  Also, on all my plugs.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cor

Quote from: akfish on January 11, 2018, 12:15:13 AM
I'm curious: Why do you refer treble hooks? I have always thought that single hooks hold better.
My experience as well.

I've done a fair bit of experimenting and eventually settled on two inward facing large singles.   We strangely found that nearly always only one hook was in the mouth and the other on on the outside of the face.

Cornelis