Fishing Sea Bass Wrecks

Started by mo65, January 12, 2018, 05:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

OK folks...which model vintage Penn reel would be best for fishing wrecks for sea bass? My brother and I are considering bringing our own reels, and have no clue as to which model to use. We have Longbeaches, Delmars, Jiggys, Surfys, Monofils, Sea Boys, 209s, and 309s. Also, I'd like to have the reels rigged right too, such as best line size for the job. We know nothing about saltwater fishing, so any advise will be appreciated. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

How deep? I'd go with Long Beach (std on bass party boats ) or jiggy with braid if they will let you. Anythjng you mentioned will do though.  40-50 mono; I use 15 feet or so of 100 fluoro as a chafe leader. 

mo65

steelfish

here in Sea of Cortez, many guys are using jigmaster with a fundation of 200yds 50# braid and the rest 40# mono, same deal with 309 reels and even 209.

on deep wrecks is better to have lots of braid line to feel the bite, mono strech too much and sometimes you dont even feel with the fish are taking tha bait.

The Baja Guy

Decker

Cool, the Freshwater Kid is heading for the coast 8)  

As John mentioned, depth makes a difference, because of line capacity and because the deeper you are fishing, the more lead you are likely to be using.  Probably you use between 6 and 12 oz of lead.  Also, retrieval rate -- you don't want to be spending too much time bringing up the bait, so 4:1 is what I like.  If you're going now, I think you more likely to be fishing deeper water; in the spring and summer, shallower wrecks.

Sea bass are fun, but not huge fighters.  Thirty pound mono is plenty for main line, and a heavier top shot leader to avoid break-offs, like John said.  A level-wind can be comfortable, especially since the fight is light.  Braid or mono, but on a crowded boat mono is easier to deal with, and a few boats prohibit braid.

Best bet is to try to get tackle recommendations from the captain, since there are a variety of possible conditions.

Mo, if you're going out on a party boat anywhere close to Philly, PM me if you'd like some company.  GOOD LUCK!

mo65

Quote from: Decker on January 12, 2018, 07:15:46 PM
 If you're going now, I think you more likely to be fishing deeper water; in the spring and summer, shallower wrecks.
Mo, if you're going out on a party boat anywhere close to Philly, PM me if you'd like some company.  GOOD LUCK!

We'll be going in the spring. Somewhere off Virginia, I'm tagging along with my brother so I don't have any details but it will be a party boat. Thanks for the tips! 8)

thorhammer

Ok.  You will likely be in a hundred feet of water then, the boat probably uses 12-16 oz to keep tender feet vertical. Call ahead to see if they will let you use braid and you should be ok with 6-8 ozs deprnding on weather.  A narrow jiggy with 50 power pro is what I used for that in NC back in the day.  It will also be light enough to jig with.   If not, use the Long Beach fir what it was made for !

Decker

Nuff said about reels. To keep it simple on rod selection, I'd use a rod that is not going to be bowed a lot holding a big sinker, so there is backbone for setting the hook. About 7 feet or a little more.

mo65

Quote from: Decker on January 13, 2018, 04:30:23 PM
Nuff said about reels. To keep it simple on rod selection, I'd use a rod that is not going to be bowed a lot holding a big sinker, so there is backbone for setting the hook. About 7 feet or a little more.

Thanks Joe...sounds like some of our catfishing rods should do just fine.