Cardinal 562

Started by Chuck750ss, January 13, 2018, 05:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck750ss

What years was this reel made? Is it a quality reel? I have owned Ambassadors for years, but know absolutely nothing about Abu spinners.

foakes

Post a photo or two, Chuck --

Thanks!

That is how everyone gets to see what you are referring to.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

If it's red, late '80s, and comparable quality to most the other Asian made rear drag spinners from that time frame. Maybe just a little better than many because it's ABU Garcia, but not high quality. Since it's an UL it should handle just about anything other ULs can handle. Don't regularly fight catfish, walleye, pike or other larger game fish, though, as they will smoke it fairly quickly. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 13, 2018, 07:11:56 PM
If it's red, late '80s, and comparable quality to most the other Asian made rear drag spinners from that time frame. Maybe just a little better than many because it's ABU Garcia, but not high quality. Since it's an UL it should handle just about anything other ULs can handle. Don't regularly fight catfish, walleye, pike or other larger game fish, though, as they will smoke it fairly quickly. 
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Any books on Abu spinners that you know of?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Chuck750ss on January 13, 2018, 07:17:23 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 13, 2018, 07:11:56 PM
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Any books on Abu spinners that you know of?

Not strictly ABU that I'm aware of other than couple of collector type books that are no longer in print that also include ABU. Ben Wright's last book, Wright's Spinning Reel Reference 2011 edition, is a great resource for estimated collector values and thousands (over 6000 to be exact) of different makes & models of open face spinners. It's hard to come by since Ben passed. Otherwise, old sporting magazines and catalogs like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Herter's, etc. have lots of advertisements and information. 

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Chuck750ss

Thanks Tommy. Could you tell me what year Abu went to Japan with their spinning reels? Did the quality fall off when they made the move?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Chuck750ss on January 13, 2018, 07:52:55 PM
Thanks Tommy. Could you tell me what year Abu went to Japan with their spinning reels? Did the quality fall off when they made the move?

Spinning reel manufacturing was moved to Japan in 1983. There was a big push throughout the industry at that time to reduce costs, so, yes quality of materials and design were somewhat reduced, and throughout the industry, also, if they hadn't already done so, not  unlike Shakespeare, etc. It depended on the model. The fulcrum brake reels were redesigned but retained quality materials similar to their Swedish ancestors. Actually, a few components like drag parts will interchange. Most of the other models were reduced to brass worm & pot metal alloy main gearing. Those are decent reels, they just won't take the use and abuse their predecessors would. The exception would be the Suveran, which was a high quality reel, maybe the best ABU ever made, and made in Sweden in '99.  

Tommy D (ORCA), NE